[softwarelist] Re: Windows version has "stopped working"

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:29:04 +0100

In message <4f310a1ac5dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I'm using Win OvPro version 2.92 (22nd June 2007) on a Vista run Laptop
without any particular problems.

Thanks. I'd much rather you had said it fell over... 8-)

At install. Always click RH mouse button over the .exe installer and
select "Run as Administrator" it seems to save aggravation at a later time.

Yes. Below is what I wrote on the 15th of March to this list

A warning. On Vista one does not get administrator rights as easily as on previous versions of Windows. This matters when you are installing programs when typically the installer will want to write protected resources e.g. the registry.

Things will go wrong if you run an installer as a mere user. To stop things going wrong with installation you have a number of options.

(1) right click the installer and use the run as administrator menu option.

(2) ensure the installer has the "correct" name - files with "Install" or "Setup" in their names are treated specially by Windows Vista.

(3) use installers which have a UAC (User Access Control) manifest embedded.

I am updating all my installers to include manifests. This will take some time.