[softwarelist] Re: Text frames on top of picture frames

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:52:29 +0100

David Pilling wrote:
In message <4f97469c1echris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
In article <481631C1.3090806@xxxxxxxx>,
  Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a series of picture frames on a page. I want to place a
number (in a text frame) on top of each picture. In some cases,
the number disappears and I have an "empty" frame with the
overflow tag.
I don't quite follow. The overflow tag showing in an 'empty' frame
indicates that the frame is not big enough for the first line (or
char). It usually means that the height of the frame is not enough
for the text or character height. Try making the frame a little
bigger in the y direction until the text pops in to view, or
alternatively make the font size smaller.

Chris is right you get the overflow flag if the text is too big ***for the area of the frame into which text can flow*** that may be less than the size of the frame if there are frames on top of it which repel text.

I take that point, but there must have been some other interaction going on --- the underlying picture frames all had the same settings (as far as I know). But the overflow tag only appeared (in the overlying text frames, which all had the same dimensions) in 2 out of 8 cases.

For this sort of job, I often set up a frame with transparent fill, 0 inset, text flow set to none, and justification (vertical of the frame) set to centre, you might also have a text style with justification of centre (horizontal). Having set one up, I can then ALT+SHIFT drag copies where I want on the page.

Thanks, that's a good tip. I'd worked out some of it, but not everything.
--
C.B.