[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs again

In article <ulenvPBrx1bFFwBL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Multitasking has the problem that whilst the copying is going on,
> the files being synchronised are open to being changed.

Yes, I have thought about this - and one of the 'pros' for not
multitasking is this. However, if a file is modified *after* the
snapshot is taken but *before* the actual copy, then you still have
the latest version. If the file is changed after it has been
'synced', then it just means that synchronisation has been lost 'very
quickly' - which will happen anyway as soon as files are modified.
One would obviously need to include more error checking to ensure
e.g. that a listed file hasn't been deleted in the meantime, or trap
any filer errors such that the overall process does not get
prematurely stopped.

It would be useful to include checking for open files, which
currently seems to stop SyncDiscs in its tracks. There are still a
number of apps that keep files open all the time for various reasons.

> Hacking type ideas... Use the SyncDiscs compare function to produce
> a list of operations needed, then feed these operations into
> whatever is going to do the copying. Or alias the *copy command to
> extract the copy operations.

Does SyncDiscs 'simply' issue a stream of *copy, *wipe, etc commands
once it has sorted out the time stamps of existing files,
non-existent files etc?

All food for thought.

      Chris...

--