[softwarelist] Re: OvPro - ctrl+P

  • From: Peter Newble <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:23:00 +0100

In article <506482dc9ftheboss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robert
Greenfield <theboss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A minor annoyance, but Ctrl+P doesn't work (to give a new
> page). Has anyone else found this?

Are you perhaps confusing two kinds of 'new page'. Ctrl-P, when
the caret is in a text frame, forces a break to the next linked
frame (either autolinked or manually linked). Since the default
document usually consists of one autolinked frame per page, this
means subsequent text is forced to the top of the next page.

Page > Insert page..., which has no default shortcut, brings up a
dialogue box allowing you to create a new page specifically
before or after the current one. This is of limited use if it
conflicts with dynamic page creation caused by text flowing from
one autolinked frame to the next -- apart from anything else,
blank pages at the end of the document will very soon be deleted
again in this case. However, when creating a booklet which I know
has to be, say, 16 pages long, I often start with an empty 1-page
document, place a static frame on it for the back cover, then
insert fifteen pages before it. Text still flows automatically
from the new page 1 to page 2, page 2 to page 3, etc. as usual,
but the extent of the document is fixed unless it reaches the end
of page 15 and overflows into a new page 17.

> Also cut (or copy) and paste within OvPro doesn't do the
> correct font styles unless I untick 'Global Clipboard' in
> Choices. I notice that the correct styles ARE copied into the
> clipboard.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you pasting wihin a
document or cutting/copying and pasting between documents? The
former certainly works here with 'Global clipboard' ticked. If
the latter, it might be because the two documents have styles
with the same name but defined differently. When pasting text
from another document, if it contains a style with the same name
as one in the new document, the existing style of that name in
the new document will be used. If the text to be pasted contains
a style not found in the new document, a new one will be created
with the same definition as in the first document.

Thus if text copied from document A contains styles called "1"
and "2", defined as:

    1: Trinity.Bold 24pt
    2:  Homerton.Medium.Oblique 36pt

and document B contains just only one style, called "1" and
defined as:

    1: Corpus.Medium 18pt

Then, after copying the text from A to B, B will contain the
styles:

    1: Corpus.Medium 18pt
    2:  Homerton.Medium.Oblique 36pt

Thus all text in style "1" will now be in Corpus.Medium 18pt,
even though that which had been copied from document A was
originally in Trinity.Bold 24pt.

The way to avoid this problem is to rename styles in the source
document to make sure they don't conflict with the target
document -- INCLUDING renaming the base style 'Bodytext' (very
important!) This approach can still fall down if any imported
style uses 'lock to grid', because the grid is defined for the
document as a whole, and the grid spacing and origin in the
target document might differ from those in the source.