[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Chris Manning <cgm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 10:59:07 +0100

In message <464CA481-9D41-48D2-8E88-8D2B48AD73A4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Michael Talibard <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ovation Pro's future, as far as I am concerned, is that I
> shall go on using it indefinitely (despite being also a fan
> of the Mac). OPro does almost everything I want from such
> a program, and does it well. Why look for anything else?

I was about to ask why you didn't use the printer drivers, together with
PrintPDF if you wish, but, when I tried it for myself I discovered an
oddity.

The document with which I chose to experiment is a letter, intended for
printing on A4 paper in portrait orientation, the first page containing
five text frames, the second a single picture frame.  The "picture"
started life as a scanned, A5 (portrait) order form, which was then
loaded, as a Sprite, into Draw, text was added, all the various objects
then grouped, and the entire thing rotated through ninety degrees, so
that Ovation sees it as a A5 landscape picture filling the top half of
an A4 portrait page.

If I "print" it via the PostScript printer driver, and examine the
resulting file with !GView, I see exactly what I expect, and exactly
what OPro gives me when I print it on my LaserJet printer, but if I
then convert the PostScript file to PDF with *ps2pdf the second page
is displayed by !PDF as a landscape A4 page, the right-hand half of
which is occupied by a portrait A5 picture frame.  Printing it on the
LJ printer from !PDF results in a portrait A5 frame half way down,
but on the extreme RH edge of, my A4 portrait page.

The results are the same whether I create the PDF file manually, or
via PrintPDF.  I doubt if there's anything I can do in OPro to make
the PDF file appear as I would wish, but maybe one of the experts
hereabouts can tell me what mistake I've made in setting up GhostScript
8.54.  Here's the command that does the conversion -

   */<GhostScript$Dir>.gs -dSAFER -dCompatibilityLevel=1.2 -q -dNOPAUSE
    -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=RAM::RamDisc0.$.00000001/pdf
    -c .setpdfwrite -f RAM::RamDisc0.$.00000001

Chris