[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Chris Hughes <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:00:59 +0100

In message <1fc1ebb64f.alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4fb6e54836dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In article <jL1zgras.1214706169.5067210.plattir@xxxxxxx>,
>>    Ian Platt <plattir@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> [Snip]

>>> I do hope _all_ people who have written stuff for RiscOS will make some
>>> arrangements for the continued availability of the apps in the future.
>>> Anyone working as a 1-man operation is, inevitably, endangering their
>>> work: none of us is getting younger (sadly, and despite SWMBO saying
>>> I'm childish).

>>> It would be a great pity if code, background info etc were not at least
>>> ar hived and available to _someone_ following the inevitable event.

>>> But in the meantime, wishing everyone a future with longevity health,
>>> satisfaction, and sufficiency-unto-their-needs.

>>> Regards
>>> Ian P.

>> It seems, from reading the NGs and mailing lists this past year, a lot of
>> stuff has already been lost, because the owners have moved on, lost the
>> disks with their work, in some cases couldn't care less.

>> Eureka the spreadsheet is one classic example of something lost.
>> And like with OvPro, I would be prepared to subscribe for continuing
>> updates.

> Do you know when I asked about OPro updates Dave, 65 responded
> positively? I would have expected many more.

Alan, I have been reading the thread on this list and in the CSA
newsgroups. Please remember only a small proportion of users are on
the internet or even read the newsgroups, or even know this list
exists.

An example is our club, where only 60% of the members actually have an
internet connection and most of the others either don't want it or
fear it because of all the scare stories.

Our club newsletter and indeed much of the Wakefield show material is
nowadays done on Ovation Pro, it used to all be done in Impression -
mainly because others on the committee etc had Impression, we now use
mainly RISC OS OPro and everyone who has not got that gets PDF copies.

I have just purchased OPro for Windows ready for when I switch OS's.

Direct PDF export would be useful.

As to whether I would purchase an update would depend nowadays on what
the new features were. Direct PDF export similar to EasiWriter, would
get me upgrading.

Import/exporting in various formats would be one of the most useful
features either directly or via applets, thus improving cross platform
compatibility and flexibility.

--
Chris Hughes