[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 07:15:59 +0100

In article <jL1zgras.1214706169.5067210.plattir@xxxxxxx>,
   Ian Platt <plattir@xxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> >For RiscOS and Windows ... if David does not have the time or
> >inclination to continue development (vs maintenance), would he consider
> >handing on the baton to others? And are there others who would be
> >willing to pick it up?

> I do hope _all_ people who have written stuff for RiscOS will make some
> arrangements for the continued availability of the apps in the future.
> Anyone working as a 1-man operation is, inevitably, endangering their
> work: none of us is getting younger (sadly, and despite SWMBO saying
> I'm childish).

> It would be a great pity if code, background info etc were not at least
> ar hived and available to _someone_ following the inevitable event.

> But in the meantime, wishing everyone a future with longevity health,
> satisfaction, and sufficiency-unto-their-needs.

> Regards
> Ian P.

It seems, from reading the NGs and mailing lists this past year, a lot of
stuff has already been lost, because the owners have moved on, lost the
disks with their work, in some cases couldn't care less.

Eureka the spreadsheet is one classic example of something lost.
And like with OvPro, I would be prepared to subscribe for continuing
updates.

Dave S