[softwarelist] Re: Fonts again

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:05:07 +0100

In message <90D64010AA8C48E0ACDF77AE8A6CE994@Shuttle>
          "Bruce Goatly" <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dave Symes wrote:

>> As an aside to all this, does anyone in the Universe have a copy of Dr
>> Fonty that'll actually do something useful with regard to PS output?
>>
>> The version I have here (1.44) will not on RO 4.39 nor on 6.20
>>
>> BTW. It's a legit copy with a serial number.

> I have FontFiend (also from iSV), which seems to save simple RO fonts to
> PostScript, but the bowls of letters such as b and o fill in. I think
> I need to check a winding rule option somewhere.

I doubt it is as simple as checking a winding rule option. RISC OS
fonts can use an even-odd or a non-zero winding rule. Non-zero is
simple because that is what PostScript Type1 expects, but if the RISC
OS font uses an even-odd winding rule, then it needs to be converted
from even-odd to non-zero, and that is a difficult problem because the
non-zero winding rule is sensitive to subpath direction.

Your description above suggests that FontFiend does not know how to do
this conversion correctly. The PostScript 3 driver gets this right,
but it was a major effort to write that code.

Martin