[softwarelist] Re: A6 booklet production

  • From: "jeff.wallis" <jeff.wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 16:32:44 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: davidpilling-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:davidpilling-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of M Harding
Sent: 05 February 2011 16:03
To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [softwarelist] A6 booklet production

A6 booklets via OvPro

I need to produce an A6 size booklet for our Probus Club (i.e. each page as
1/4 of an A4 sheet). The front and back covers vary slightly annually; the 2
pages listing meetings/events change entirely each year; the 3 constitution
pages remain static; and 7 pages contain a directory of members which varies
slightly as members are lost and added. The whole product runs to 16 A6
sides.

I've codged a complicated version in OvPro, but wonder whether there's an
elegant or even simple way to produce it?

My work-around involved in effect printing on A4 portrait paper, the upper
half making up one booklet and the lower half a second identical copy: these
can eventually be guillotined to make up 2 copies.

Tackling first the top half of the A4 sheet, I divided it laterally into 2,
and used frames 138mm H x 90mm W for the text.

Most of the content is in 10pt, using a condensed font (EFF's deGaulle
Condensed) for clarity and to accommodate some extensive addresses.

Sorting the order of pages was a nightmare - I cut up A4 sheets and made a
blank mock-up with each page numbered, then took it apart to see which page
came next to another in printing. Next I copied-and-pasted chunks of the
master text (front page / officers / lists of events / directory /
constitution / back page) and put a little page number in a separate frame
in each appropriate corner.
Phew!

And having done that for the top half of every A4 page, I then replicated
each to the lower half, to give 2 copies for every print-run. Printing was a
matter of hope - that I'd got each page in the right order and the right way
up. But it did work - just.

Somehow a member has been producing copies using Word . .  Ugh!

Is there a simpler method anyone can suggest? Has anyone written an applet?

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My suggestion would be:

Set up your page size to A6 and enter your copy.

When you print - in the print dialogue set the printing to 'printers pairs'.

Load A5 paper ( landscape or if short edge first then set 'print sideways in
printer dialogue) in your printer

Print document odd pages

Turn paper over and print document even pages.

Jeff W