[darkice] Re: watch darkice errors and restart if necessarily

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: darkice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:21:04 -0500

On Monday 16 January 2012 18:13:28 Hungerburg wrote:

> >> This is not typical for logging under unix as such things usually are
> >> done by newsyslog or logrotate - on a opeating system or distribution
> >> level.
> >
> > yes, I agree and I also rather use logrotate.
> > But how can I "separate" the error-messages, to stop/ start darkice on
> > the right time?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jörg
>
> I read
> http://code.google.com/p/darkice/source/browse/darkice/trunk/rc.darkice
> - this does not lend itself to rotating by the system, as the log file
> is kept open all the time.
>
> Also there seems to be a typo in line 56, concerning redirection of
> stderr, s/%/&/.
>
> Then, this does not help you, Jörg, with running multiple darkice
> instances, but I remember you wrote, that you need that - do you really
> encode several different sources in parallel?

I used to use rotter on three boxes to record 3 radio stations. We added a
fourth station but did not have another box so we needed to log two stations
on one box.

IIRC, at the time at least, rotter could not run two instances on one machine
so I switched to darkice in combination with something I found and modified
called radioplay.

radioplay link:
http://groups.drupal.org/node/8475
http://groups.drupal.org/node/10772

these links may help in figuring out my mods:
http://www.mail-archive.com/rivendell-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg00927.html
//www.freelists.org/post/darkice/again-problemwithSIGUSR1cutfunction,2

So, I encode two streams from two soundcards on one machine and send them to
an icecast machine on the lan. Then an icecast server in another country
pulls those streams and users listen from there. I also encode and log and
stream three other stations on three other machines.

all the best,

drew