Press Release: 35 Citizens from 12 Countries Beaten and Detained on Tiananmen Square

  • From: Media-Update <media-update@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Media-Update <dafa-news-ottawa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:18:33 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - 11/20/2001
http://www.faluninfo.net
35 Citizens from 12 Countries Beaten and
Detained on Tiananmen Square

BEIJING, November 20, 2001 (Falun Dafa Information Center) -- At 2:00PM
Beijing time, approximately 36 citizens from 12 different countries, including
the US, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, the UK, and Australia, staged a peaceful
appeal on Tiananmen Square in Beijing for the rights of Falun Gong
practitioners. The practitioners were immediately detained and held at the
Tiananmen Square Police Station.

Today's demonstration consisted of practitioners sitting quietly in meditation
and displaying a banner stating "Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance", but
were set upon by police after only a minute or two.

Eyewitnesses report that police kicked some of the practitioners to the
ground, slapped one woman unconscious, and then dragged them all into a van.
One CNN reporter was also detained.

According to one reporter, as of this release, officials at the Tiananmen
Square Police Station stated that they "have nothing to say" about this
matter.

In a statement issued by the practitioners shortly before the demonstration,
they stated that they gathered to appeal for the tens of thousands of Falun
Gong practitioners persecuted in China over the past two and a half years, and
to show that the international community is deeply concerned about this
atrocity. Among the practitioners taking part in the demonstration were a CEO,
a nuclear engineer, college students, a medical doctor, a housewife and
mother, a technology consultant, and many others.

The statement went on to say, "... we call upon China?s government to abolish
the '610 Office' and other administrative offices that were created for the
sole purpose of directing violence against Falun Gong practitioners."

"We have traveled to Beijing from Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland,
Israel, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States. We...
are here to appeal to China?s leaders and to seek an end to the violence and
terror they have waged against Falun Gong for two and a half years," the
statement said.

The protest on the square today took the exact same form that the almost-daily
protests by Chinese Falun Gong practitioners have over the last two and a half
years: a peaceful meditation accompanied by banners bearing the principles of
the Falun Gong practice. What was different about today?s demonstration,
however, was that the participants were virtually all westerners from outside
China.

Gail Rachlin, a spokesperson for the New York-based Falun Dafa Information
Center, said of the event, "The significance of this is clear: the persecution
of Falun Gong is not just a China issue. Those people out there today aren?t
Chinese, yet they realize that the existence of this persecution in China is a
grave injustice to humanity, and therefore, an injustice to all the world?s
people. Jiang Zemin's regime has actually declared that it?s going to
?eradicate? and ?smash? Falun Gong. That?s tens of millions of lives at risk.
This must end now.?

As of this report, the status of the thirty-six detainees is still unknown.
The embassies of Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Sweden,
Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States in Beijing have been
informed of the names of the detained.

Contact: Lucy Zhou      613-599-7494, 613-862-7494 (cell)

Zenon Dolnyckyj couldn?t bear seeing Chinese people deceived by government
propaganda demonizing Falun Gong. Today he joined 35 westerners from 12
countries in Tiananmen Square in a peaceful appeal and was arrested by police.
 Currently, he is  still detained in Beijing.

Zenon?s video interview ?Why I am going to Tiananmen Square? ?recorded before
he left- is available. Please contact Lucy Zhou at (613) 599-7494

Following is the statement from Zenon Dolnyckyj written before he left for
Beijing.

November 14, 2001

Why I Go To Tiananmen Square

Zenon Dolnyckyj

Dear fellow Canadians, the media and elected officials,

When I look back over the past two and a half years and I think about all the
support the Canadian people have shown for Falun Gong, I feel the base of my
heart swell with appreciation.  I truly felt that my efforts to encourage
Canadians support for Falun Dafa have not been in vain.   However the people
of China have not had the same chance to hear the truth about Falun Dafa after
the persecution began.

I am going to China to join fellow Canadian, European, Australian and American
practitioners to hold a banner in Tiananmen Square.  Most of us will sit
silently in meditation and a few others will hold the banner that simply reads
?Truthfulness-Compassion-Tolerance, Falun Dafa is Good?.

In China many people think that Falun Dafa is persecuted in other countries as
well.  They are polluted by lies from the state run media.  When they don?t
know its good and agree with the government they often help the government
persecute Falun Dafa.  Two months before the persecution began, the ?6.10
Office? was established by the president of China.  Its purpose was to ?handle
the Falun Gong issue?.  It has offices at every level of the entire Chinese
government with power over all offices.  The 6.10 has not only used government
legislation to persecute Falun Dafa, but it has used their consulates in other
countries, every single level of the academic community, military, business,
farming, housing, public security, hospitals, mental hospitals etc.  It?s
really hard to imagine.  If someone doesn?t help in the persecution they will
face the persecution, practitioner or not.  It?s really sinister, as innocent
Chinese are being forced are being forced to commit crimes against humanity,
against their fellow countrymen.

My presence (as a white person) there with others will provide a strong
contradiction to the lies.  As we are from other countries from around the
world it shows that we not only practice but also stand by it so firmly that
we will come to tell them amidst this complex and grave situation.  Our
presence will demand that people re-evaluate this situation and it will be
another strong message to the corrupted oppressors that their persecution is
still failing after two years.  We also hope that our peaceful manifestation
will remind them of the time, not so long ago, when they were awarding and
embracing Falun Dafa themselves.

I am not risking my life.  There is no reason why anything bad should happen
to me.  What I am doing is within international law and Chinese law.
Furthermore, three and a half years ago I was defeated by society, and chose
to give up on all of you and my family, get rid of all my ID and head into the
mountains to learn martial arts.  That?s when I found Falun Dafa. It taught me
transcend my vices, shortcomings and remain in society, which would naturally
benefit society.  So in effect I would not have this life if it were not for
Falun Dafa.  Should I not do whatever I can to validate it?!

Mr. Li Hongzhi (founder of Falun Dafa) has publicly stated on more than one
occasion that ?overseas practitioners?(that?s me) should not go to China.  But
he also taught me to take the Law (Truthfulness-Compassion-Tolerance) as my
teacher.  It is with this in mind/heart that I will go and stand up for the
truth, for the sake of others (the deceived Chinese people).  My tolerance
will be for those who oppose me and with compassion I will do my best to
awaken the goodness in their hearts.

When something has cured the deathly ill, mended broken families, invigorated
the elderly, guided the youth, inspired new scientific discovery, transcended
rape, torture, murder and systemic persecution with peaceful means, when this
something is making history, society needs to re-evaluate themselves.  When
this something has spread around the world at an unprecedented speed, asking
nothing of you and only gives to you, society needs not only to protect it but
embrace it.

I am not excited. I do not feel rash, neither angry. My mind is clear and at
peace, my heart is full of compassion and my purpose is clear.   So if you
could, share a moment of your time with me in your heart.  Close your eyes and
join me on Tiananmen Square to tell the China and the world that Falun Dafa is
good and to cherish Truthfulness-Compassion-Tolerance.

Zenon Dolnyckyj,

Note: I am not against China.  In fact I myself love the Chinese culture.  It
is the existence of the 6.10 Office, its head (Luo Gan) and the presidents?
persecution of Falun Gong that I firmly oppose and live to eliminate.  It is
the president and the 6.10 Office  (and its head) who are against China as
they are destroying their nation to save face and promote their own twisted
notion of power.