Ottawa: Hunger Strike Ends As Vigil and Courage Continue

  • From: Media Update <Media_Advisory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dafa-news-ottawa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:18:20 +0000

News Release     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 7,  2001

Hunger Strike Ends in Ottawa
As Vigil and Courage Continue
Falun Gong Vigil and Hunger Strike draw support from Ottawa People

Ottawa - Falun Gong practitioners will attempt to deliver an urgent appeal
letter to the Chinese Ambassador as they end their 18-day Hunger Strike relay
in front of the Chinese Embassy on Friday, September 7, 2001. The
round-the-clock vigil which began on July 6th will continue.

They appeal for the immediate release of 130 practitioners suffering the 5th
week of a hunger strike in Masanjia Labour Camp in China. All previous appeal
letters have been refused. Meanwhile, 8 more torture-death cases of Falun Gong
practitioners have been reported during the hunger strike. What kind of
government would answer its people?s peaceful appeal with this kind of

Local Ottawa people have been showing strong support of the practitioners?
courage and perseverance. Passersby take leaflets and sign their petition to
the House of Commons. Drivers sound their horns and wave as they drive by.
More Canadians, including MPs and Senators, are expressing their support and
their concerns about the Falun Gong suppression in China.

One passer-by said, ?I have been following this. Many people support you. I
have also written to the Ambassador and our Minister of Foreign Affairs?. Some
kind people brought water to those on hunger strike and food to those on
vigil. One English teacher kindly offered to help the practitioners polish the
English on the leaflets and other materials.

Mr. Christopher Levenson and Ms. Oonagh Berry, who pass by the vigil often,
wrote to the Chinese Ambassador: ?We are writing as people who in other
circumstances would be only too glad to visit your country, to express our
support for those members of the Falun Gong movement ? most individual
Canadians find your government's policies in this respect totally abhorrent
and an all too vivid reminder of the brutal suppression of peaceful dissent at
Tianamin Square.?

In her letter to Prime Minister Chretien, Chairperson of the Human Right
Committee of Senate, Senator Raynell Andreychuk wrote: ?The recent hunger
strikes initiated by Falun Gong practitioners in Canada shows the desperation
felt by them, having exhausted all other legitimate means. ? I am appealing to
you to support the Falun Gong practitioners by using your upcoming trip to
China ?to encourage the Chinese officials to stop their unwarranted actions
against these people.?

MP Lynne Yelich wrote to the Prime Minister: ?I am writing you today to urge
you in taking a stance towards the Chinese authorities; letting them know they
must stop persecuting Falun Gong, and to release all the practitioners from
incarceration immediately. ?We have a responsibility, as a nation of peace, to
stand up for individual rights, such as the right to practice Falun Gong.?

Jasmine Gao, a Nortel Networks software engineer now on last day of her 4-day
hunger strike, expresses why she felt a need to be there: ?Being a Falun Gong
practitioner, in my seven-year cultivation, I greatly enjoy the health,
happiness and peace that Falun Dafa has brought to me. However, such a great
law of the universe has been subjected to the most brutal persecution and most
evil defamation. There is an expression in Chinese: ?Being given a drop of
water, I will reward the giver with a spring of water.? It is our duty to
appeal for Falun Gong and clarify the truth from our own experience. .... My
hearts calls me to be here. .?

For more information, contact:
Lucy Zhou:    613-862-7494 (Cell), 613-599-7494
Jasmine Gao:  613-265-8405 (Cell)

For background on the spiritual practice and the crisis in China, please visit . To subscribe, unsubscribe or change the
delivery mode, please visit