News Release: Falun Gong ?SOS! Global Rescue Walkers? Delivered 95,000 Supporting Signatures to PMO

  • From: Media-Update <media-update@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Media-Update <dafa-news-ottawa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 05:23:51 -0400

News Release    For Immediate Release: September 27, 2001
Falun Gong ?SOS! Global Rescue Walkers?
Delivered 95,000 Supporting Signatures to PMO

MPs & Senators & Supporters Held Welcome Ceremony on the Hill
And Spoke Strongly Against Terrorism and Persecution

[Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal], September 27 ? Two teams of Falun Gong
practitioners who walked from Toronto and Montreal arrived in Ottawa today.
Ms. Colleen Beaumier, M.P., Mr. Scott Reid, M.P., Mr. Yvonne Charbonneau, M.P.
and Mr. John Godfrey, M.P., together with many other MPs, Senators and Falun
Gong supporters, held a welcome ceremony and a press conference when the
walkers arrived at Parliament Hill. The walkers then presented over 95, 000
signatures of support from Canadians to PMO to strongly and urgently appeal to
Prime Minister Chretien to urge China, during his visit there next month, to
put an end to the persecution of Falun Gong.

Ms. Beaumier opened the ceremony amidst a long round of applause as the
practitioners, ending their journeys from Toronto and Montreal, walked up the
central path of Parliament Hill.

?It is the duty of every citizen in every free and just society, to express
their indignation towards oppression, torture and murder.? Ms. Beaumier said
in her speech at the ceremony. ?I would like to commend all Canadians who?ve
supported Falun Dafa?.

?To say how proud we are to be associated with such people of conviction, and
people of faith, that we will stay with you and continue to support your
efforts, and make our views known to the Chinese government.?  Mr. John
Godfrey added.

In a press conference held inside the Parliament Buildings, Scott Reid pointed
out during his speech: ?There are members of parliament from all parties who
support the cause of Falun Dafa practitioners who have been arrested and
imprisoned in China for doing nothing other than supporting a belief in
Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance ? a set of beliefs which, of course,
reflect the best in all civilized societies and particularly in the history of
China, and which represent no threat to anybody?.

At the press conference, Mr. Yvon Charbonneau also condemned China?s brutal
persecution.? I consider that this form of terrorism practiced against Falun
Gong practitioners in China is no more acceptable than any other form of

After the ceremony and press conference, the walkers presented the 95,000
signatures to the Prime Minister?s Office.  ?The tens of thousands of
signatures we collected are a testament to the heart of justice and
righteousness of our fellow Canadians. It also demonstrates the trust we have
in our Canadian government to speak on our behalf and help stop this
injustice.? Said Danniel Zhu, a walker from Toronto.

Among the walkers and presenters of the signatures, is Li Zhang, a permanent
resident of Canada, whose husband Lizhi He is serving a 3.5-year prison term
in China for sending Falun Gong materials to colleagues;

These events occurred as part of a peaceful day long activities where the
meditative, peaceful Falun Gong exercises were also demonstrated.

The walks in Canada are part of the ?SOS! Global Rescue Walk? that are also
taking place in the United States, Europe, Australia and Asia. Some of  the
practitioners in the two teams will continue their journey and start to walk
to UN in New York in a few days.

Contact: Lucy Zhou (Ottawa)     613-599-7474, 613-862-7494 (Cell)

(Attached:  Statement from Falun Gong Practitioners for the event)