Media Release from MP Scott Reid

  • From: Media-Update <media-update@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Media-Update <dafa-news-ottawa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:18:09 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, November 21st, 2001

Falun Gong prisoner to be released today by China

OTTAWA ? Lanark-Carleton MP Scott Reid welcomed reports that jailed Canadian
citizen Zenon Dolnyckyj is to be freed by Chinese authorities and returned to
Canada later tonight.

International media reports surfaced yesterday morning, announcing the arrest
of Dolnyckyj, a Toronto resident and Falun Gong supporter. He was detained
yesterday in Tiananmen Square, while taking part in a peaceful demonstration
against Chinese persecution of the spiritual movement. There was also word
that he had been mistreated by police.

"I have received reports of Zenon?s imminent release from my friends at the
Falun Dafa Association of Canada. These reports are unofficial, but appear to
be accurate," said Reid. "I know Zenon personally through our work together in
raising awareness of religious persecution in China. He is a kind man and a
devoted advocate of freedom of conscience. I was deeply troubled to hear of
his arrest yesterday, and am relieved that he is coming home."

Dolnyckyj is reportedly scheduled for expulsion by China later today, with a
five-year entry ban to the country. Two other Canadians remain under arrest in
China for practicing Falun Gong. Shenli Lin, who is married to a Canadian
citizen, has been detained since January 2000. Lizhe He, a Canadian landed
immigrant, has been held by Chinese authorities since July of this year. Both
were arrested for raising awareness of Falun Gong and resisting state
propaganda demonizing the movement.

"I again call upon Prime Minister Chrétien to use his office as well as his
international reputation as Dean of the G7 to stand up in defence of freedom
of expression and freedom of conscience, and to appeal to the government of
China for the release of these Canadian prisoners of conscience," concluded
Reid.

- 30 -

For further information, contact:

Scott Reid, MP: (613) 947-2277