[ctw] Re: Quiet out there

  • From: Tom Shaw <tshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:50:39 -0500

I am doing a from scratch install on 10.4 now and will be up to net::cidr::lite in a bit and will report back. Nothing any different than I have seen doing this before. I would quit out of terminal (and maybe reboot if necessary) and startup cpan and try again as it will not hurt.

Tom

CS you don't have CA2 installed do you?

At 4:17 PM -0700 3/10/09, Bob Albert wrote:
- Did the perl install per instructions and got the following for a few of the installs. not sure if this is expected.

cpan> install Net::CIDR::Lite
Running install for module Net::CIDR::Lite
Running make for D/DO/DOUGW/Net-CIDR-Lite-0.20.tar.gz
Is already unwrapped into directory /Users/ottoreck/.cpan/build/Net-CIDR-Lite-0.20
  Has already been processed within this session
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

cpan> install Net::SMTP
Running install for module Net::SMTP
Running make for G/GB/GBARR/libnet-1.22.tar.gz
  Is already unwrapped into directory /Users/ottoreck/.cpan/build/libnet-1.22
  Has already been processed within this session
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

- Also for several commands this was returned as the final output:
For: install Net::Syslog and force install Tie::DBI

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Net::Syslog
    -- NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

On Mar 10, 2009, at 12:05 PM, Tom Shaw wrote:

At 10:11 AM -0700 3/10/09, Bob Albert wrote:
I want to install but I'm worried as I don't have a "dev/stage" environment to play with. Thus I'll have to install on live servers. Should I be safe just following the steps outlined? Also it seems like i could easily uninstall and switch back.

I'm going to have to do it all on one machine.

Any other advice before I take this on?

Bob,

The perl is no issue. The install just adds modules that if you don't use is not a problem.

The current installer doesn't install launchd plists so assp will not autostart. You will be able to manually start/stop in case you are worried.

You know you could just install it on your desktop to get a feel for it. You could even use your desktop machine to start as a proxy for awhile until you want to install on a production machine.

Nevertheless there should be no issue installing it on production but read the instructions and faqs and make yourself a checklist to follow in you are going straight onto a production machine is what I would do.

Tom

Tom

--
Tom Shaw - Chief Engineer, OITC