[ctw] Re: Observations on load

  • From: Tom Shaw <tshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:00:33 -0400

At 4:21 PM -0500 3/17/09, webcatalog@xxxxxxx wrote:
I am running about 5,000 messages a day, ASSP is running on a G4 mac mini. At its peaks I am running about 70% avg of the processor. Just curious how this compares to other folks running ASSP. Complete avg is about 5.4% but my concerns are the peaks. I may switch to an intel based unit. Anybody else have good stats for peak hours? I got them by restarting assp at 10am and running till 4pm.

Bob

I am running assp 1.5.1 final with clam 095RC2 and I also am on a G4 mac mini I show peaks at 47% and average 4% for around 4K messages per day for the last 2 days. I have been restarting a couple of times per day to rest release candidates. For me this load is higher than normal because I have package maker running at the dame time so I can build a final distribution so memory and cpu is being eaten by others.

I can say this after running assp for quite a while.

1) real memory is good and cuts down load
2) a lightly filled disk is good. Or run something like TechTool to unfrag the disk so that virtual memory operates faster. 3) ASSP doesn't hog CPU like EIMS. We see 100% load peaks all the time with EIMS where EIMS totally takes over the machine and will not let anything else run even in an untimely fashion. I ran stress testing a while ago and found that even when assp was peaking other processes ran fine.

Also remember my initial defaults leaned toward score and tag. You can cut down load by blocking on various tests like bad helo

I had hope to get the final out today but it looks like tomorrow - <sigh>

Tom
Circle The Wagons
manage: //www.freelists.org/list/ctw post: mailto:ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
search: //www.freelists.org/archives/ctw