[ctw] Re: ASSP and MAPI question

  • From: Rick Hazey <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:44:51 -0500

On Apr 20, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Tom Shaw wrote:

I understand MAPI (boy you are paying through the nose of those users) but why webmail? Unless its OWM

You're right about MAPI not being cheap but that's what our users want. Webmail is rolled into the same server. When an email is sent, it goes into the local queue and then the SMTP server sends it directly. I can send all outgoing email to another server (such as ASSP) but then where does it go? Hence, the second MTA solution.

We have a lot of clients using MAPI and webmail, so I'm concerned that ASSP won't work very well under those circumstances.

I don't understand won't work. Of course it works; its a matter of what you see as the amount of care and feeding that needs to be perofrmed.

Not "won't work" but "won't work very well". I don't want to fight the system,s o to speak. If ASSP works best by handling all outbound email, then I don't want to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. Example: POP3 works fine as a protocol but we don't use it any more. Why? Because unsophisticated users go home and configure a POP3 client and it removes all the email from the server. (Guess who gets the phone call about that?) In this sense, POP3 doesn't work very well.

I guess I was really looking for real world experience regarding a configuration where outbound doesn't go through ASSP. If someone asked me if the POP3 protocol worked well, I'd say "yes, very well". If they asked me my experience with POP3, I would say "avoid it in certain situations".

If all mail goes through ASSP then you off load management to your users. If some outbound mail goes through ASSP then bayesian can still be constructed and you could provide a web based interface to be used in lieu of the email interface for control by those who use MAPI. That would be pretty simple. If no outbound then build web I/ F for control and tell ASSP to infer not spam from incoming mail unless overridden by your users using the web interface.

Now, that's what I want to hear: offload management to the users. Sounds like a good reason to make sure outbound goes through ASSP. Using a second MTA seems like the way to go.

I'm going to install ASSP on a server and test it out. Any tips/ suggestions if I need to uninstall?

Thanks for all the info Tom.

Rick Hazey
Octet Industries, LLC

Circle The Wagons