[cts-newsletters-html] Slashdot Interview/Hotmail & Palm Email

  • From: "The Screen Savers Today" <screen_savers_today@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:13:18 MST

CmdrTaco and Hemos to the rescue:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044591

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--What's Up Today--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

SLASHDOT SPEAKS
CmdrTaco (Rob Malda) and Hemos (Jeff Bates) talk about
Slashdot, the popular geek discussion and news web site.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044592

HOTMAIL AND PALM EMAIL
Can you synchronize your Hotmail with your
Palm? Nope. It's all Hotmail's fault.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044593

CHANGING YOUR ID IN OUTLOOK
We'll show you how to change your ID
so you can be incognito in your emails.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044594

LEO & PATRICK SOUNDS
Three -- count 'em -- three sets of sounds
for your computer. Download them all!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044595
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044596
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044597

HELP & HOW-TO ZONE
The place to go when you need a tip or trick.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044598

FEEDBACK ABOUT THE NEW SET
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044599

ALL THE LINKS FROM TODAY'S SHOW
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044600

***************************ADVERTISEMENT***************************
iWin.com - eXtreme lotto. Win $1 million dollars today! Win
thousands of dollars, just for having friends!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044601

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
The Screen Savers Show Notes for Thursday, February 15th,
2001...

* Prevent buffer underruns when you burn CDs

Ben from Lacrosse, WI burns a lot of CDs and he keep
getting buffer underruns. We covered this in detail here:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044602

We recommend getting a BURNProof drive. That eliminates
buffer underrun entirely. If you don't have BURNProof,
make sure you dedicate your machine to burning - get up
and walk away while it's recording.

We also recommend Nero software for burning - it's the
best. Try it free for a month or so from
http://www.nero.com

* Telnet to your Linux Box

Mark from Somerworth, NH has had some problems with
telnetting to his Linux box from Windows. The Telnet
server never says hello. Mark was right, there's no
specific HOW-TO on Telnet, but the telnet man page should
give you all the info you need on properly configuring the
daemon.

Telnet's not secure anyway, so we recommend SSH instead.
You can read all about it and get a copy (if your distro
doesn't come with one) at http://www.ssh.org/

* The synergy of multiple drives

Jason from Providence, RI has a bunch of hard drives and
wants them to look like one drive to his computer. You can
do that with RAID 0, of course, but it's best to have
identical drives and no IDE RAID card supports more than 4
drives at once.

Windows 2000 offers something called Dynamic Volume
Managment that will let you combine multiple drives into a
single virtual drive. Read all about it at

http://www.microsoft.com/DirectAccess/PartnerGuide/smallbusiness/techread/volume.asp

* "Palm" your InfoFiction

Mike from Oceanside, CA is a 12 year old with taste. He
wants to play the classic text adventure Zork on his
Visor. A great match. We have an article about Zorking
your Palm at

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044606

We recommend the the Frotz interpreter at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/2367/.

You can find Zork and 90 other adventures at the Palm
Pilot Entertainment Zone,
http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/rpg/22/

And for those of you who want to try those classic Infocom
adventures online try http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

You can play the first text adventure, Colossal Cave,
(based on Crowther and Woods Adventure) here:
http://www.pond.com/~russotto/zplet/ifol.html

* IDE Controllers

Ted from Nacogdoches, TX has maxed out his IDE connectors.
He wonders if adding a PCI card IDE controller will be
slower. Patrick says it may even be faster, if it's a
better controller. We recommend the Promise controllers,
http://www.promise.com.

That's it from the new set of the old show. Patrick took
off with Commander Taco and Hemos, so this is your
faithful scribe, Leo, signing off!

Leo
+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

***************************ADVERTISEMENT***************************
Outpost.com has the very latest and best in audio & video from
Tweeter!  FREE OVERNIGHT DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS OVER $100!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304463&d=1044612

 That's all for today-- keep visiting our site,
 and keep watching The Screen Savers-- it's good
 for you!

You are subscribed to this newsletter with the following email address:
cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like to unsubscribe at any time, please reply to this message with
"UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. Or send an email to:
screen_savers_today-off@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you would like to update your email address visit the TechTV Newsletter hub
at:  http://www.techtv.com/interact/newsletters/