[cts-newsletters-html] PowerPoint Tips/Add a Pre Tag

  • From: "Call for Help Daily" <call_for_help_daily@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 19:13:30 MST

We're here to help:

Call for Help
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972227

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

DYNAMIC POWERPOINT PRESENTATION
Make PowerPoint presentations fun by adding animated GIFs and
movies. Read this feature by Leo to learn more:
HTTP://WWW.TECHTV.COM/CALLFORHELP/ANSWERSTIPS/STORY/0,23008,3308751,00.HTML

WEB WORKSHOP
Are you losing the integrity of preformatted text on your webpage?
Silicon Ali saves the day with this HTML gem:
HTTP://WWW.TECHTV.COM/CALLFORHELP/WEBWORKSHOP/STORY/0,23008,3308755,00.HTML

WINDOWS TIP
Use the Registry Checker to scan for configuration inconsistencies:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972228

TODAY'S LINKS
Read the Show Notes for all of today's show content:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972229

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
***************************Advertisement***************************

Memory PC - Memory prices have fallen substantially, and
Outpost.com is passing that savings on to you! With FREE DELIVERY.
OVERNIGHT.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972230
*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

Leo's Show Notes for Thursday, February 1, 2001...

No cats were squished in the making of this television show.

* Synch Outlook

Dan in Monroe, CT wants to synchronize his calendar between
his desktop and laptop. He's using Outlook 2000. The easiest
way to do this is to use a web based calendar as an
intermediary. I use FusionOne,
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972231. It's
free and it will synchronize your datebook, address book,
notes, tasks, bookmarks, files, and even browser cookies. I
use it myself and have had great results.

* What is SDRAM

Brian from Imlai, MI it's stands for Synchronous Dynamic
Random Access Memory. It's the memory, or RAM, in your
computer. When your processor runs a program it loads it into
memory first. SDRAM is a specific kind of RAM that runs at
system speed. There are other kinds of RAM, DRAM, RDRAM, and
DDR-RAM. You should get the kind of RAM your manufacturer
specifies. If you're not sure, Crucial Memory,
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972232, can help you figure it
out.

* Slow Mac bootup

Jack from Orlando, FL says his Macs have been booting slowly
ever since he upgraded to System 9. Check the Servers folder
inside your System Folder. Delete any aliases inside. The Mac
will attempt to mount these servers even if they don't exist,
and that can take a lot of time.

----------------- Lightning Round ------------------------

* What is MOBO?

Bill from Whittier, CA has heard the word but wants to know
what the heck it is. It's short for motherboard. That's the
big circuit board in your computer that holds the processors,
memory, slots for cards, and so on. It's sometimes called the
main board, but I like motherboard because it is, indeed, the
mother of all circuit boards!

* Adding a link to the browser bar

Bill from Cheyenne, Wyoming wants to add a link to a website
to his browser's toolbar. Easy enough. Go to the site you want
to save, then drag the icon from the address bar to the
toolbar.

* Napster Replacement

Steve from Canada is looking for a Napster replacement. That's
the program that helps you find MP3s on other users' hard
drives. The classic napster replacement is Gnutella, free from
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972233. I also like CuteMX from
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972234. Both programs can search
for more than
just music.

Jeff from Louisville, KY had something to say about CuteMX,
though.

"I'd steer clear of CuteMX if I were you. It's a major
resource hog. A similar program that works just like CuteMX is
I-Mesh. Or if you just want to concentrate on MP3, try
AudioGalaxy. It's accessible via the web (www.audiogalaxy.com)
or a stand-alone client."

Thanks, Jeff!

* Saving video to floppy

Lenny from Hallam, PA wants to save movies from the net to
floppy but he's worried that it's bad for the drives. The
floppy grinds a lot - sounds like it's dying - but that's
normal. Floppies are much noisier and slower than hard drives,
but they won't break if you use them, so go ahead.

That's it from the Call for Help crew. Thanks for watching.
Becky is in tomorrow with Scott Herriot. Should be fun. I'm
off to St. Louis with Patrick. We'll be at the CompUSA in
Sunset Hills from noon to 2p. I hope we'll see you there.

I'll be back on Monday. Meanwhile, remember, it's not your
fault!

Leo

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
***************************Advertisement***************************

Can't remember where that great Web site was? Now you don't have
to! Access your favorite sites from any computer, anywhere. Click
here!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972235

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

TIP: If you receive 'Page Not Found' errors when clicking on
newsletter links in Netscape, try cutting and pasting the link into
the address bar.

You are subscribed to this newsletter with the following email address:
cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like to unsubscribe at any time, please reply to this message with
"UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. Or send an email to:
call_for_help_daily-off@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

CABLE IN THE CLASSROOM
Are you a student with a question about computers? Are you a
teacher who realizes that computers aren't just a passing fad?  If
you answered 'Yes' to either question, then your school could
appear on Call for Help. If kids at your school are into computers,
and need their questions answered, contact us and you may get it
answered on TV! Send all questions to CIC@xxxxxxxxxxx

For more information, please visit our Cable in the Classroom
homepage:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=299090&d=972236