[cts-newsletters-html] Patrick in Nashville/We Need BIOS Graphics

  • From: "The Screen Savers Today" <screen_savers_today@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:26:52 MST

Send us your BIOS graphics:

http://www.thescreensavers.com

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--What's Up Today--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

WE NEED YOUR BIOS GRAPHICS
We're working on a future segment about BIOS
graphics. We want you to create one for the show.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083086

WE'LL COME TO YOUR HOME
We're looking for a future House Call
recipient in the San Francisco Bay Area.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083087

MEET PATRICK IN NASHVILLE
Patrick Norton will be in Tennessee at the
InterMedia@Home's Everything Internet seminars on Feb. 24.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083088

HOME-MADE SPECIAL EFFECTS
On Thursday, Feb. 22, TechTV's Mark DeVito talked
about video special effects packages for the home user.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083089

ULTIMATE GAMING MACHINE 3.0
During the week of Feb. 26, we're building a new Ultimate Gaming
Machine. Russ Pitts gives us a preview of what's to come.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083090

HELP & HOW-TO ZONE
Can't figure something out? Chances are you'll
find the answer in the Help & How-To Zone.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083091

MORE SET FEEDBACK
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083092

ALL THE LINKS FROM TODAY'S SHOW
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083093

***************************ADVERTISEMENT***************************
iWin.com - eXtreme lotto. Win $1 million dollars today! Win
thousands of dollars, just for having friends!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083094

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
SHOW NOTES for Friday, February 23, 2001 (repeat of
February 15, 2001)...

* Prevent buffer underruns when you burn CDs

Ben from Lacrosse, WI burns a lot of CDs and he keep
getting buffer underruns. We covered this in detail here:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083095

We recommend getting a BURNProof drive. That eliminates
buffer underrun entirely. If you don't have BURNProof,
make sure you dedicate your machine to burning - get up
and walk away while it's recording.

We also recommend Nero software for burning - it's the
best. Try it free for a month or so from
http://www.nero.com

* Telnet to your Linux Box

Mark from Somerworth, NH has had some problems with
telnetting to his Linux box from Windows. The Telnet
server never says hello. Mark was right, there's no
specific HOW-TO on Telnet, but the telnet man page should
give you all the info you need on properly configuring the
daemon.

Telnet's not secure anyway, so we recommend SSH instead.
You can read all about it and get a copy (if your distro
doesn't come with one) at http://www.ssh.org/

* The synergy of multiple drives

Jason from Providence, RI has a bunch of hard drives and
wants them to look like one drive to his computer. You can
do that with RAID 0, of course, but it's best to have
identical drives and no IDE RAID card supports more than 4
drives at once.

Windows 2000 offers something called Dynamic Volume
Managment that will let you combine multiple drives into a
single virtual drive. Read all about it at

http://www.microsoft.com/DirectAccess/PartnerGuide/smallbusiness/techread/volume.asp

* "Palm" your InfoFiction

Mike from Oceanside, CA is a 12 year old with taste. He
wants to play the classic text adventure Zork on his
Visor. A great match. We have an article about Zorking
your Palm at

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,23008,2350850,00.html

We recommend the the Frotz interpreter at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/2367/.

You can find Zork and 90 other adventures at the Palm
Pilot Entertainment Zone,
http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/rpg/22/

And for those of you who want to try those classic Infocom
adventures online try http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

You can play the first text adventure, Colossal Cave,
(based on Crowther and Woods Adventure) here:
http://www.pond.com/~russotto/zplet/ifol.html

* IDE Controllers

Ted from Nacogdoches, TX has maxed out his IDE connectors.
He wonders if adding a PCI card IDE controller will be
slower. Patrick says it may even be faster, if it's a
better controller. We recommend the Promise controllers,
http://www.promise.com.

That's it from the new set of the old show. Patrick took
off with Commander Taco and Hemos, so this is your
faithful scribe, Leo, signing off!

Leo
+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

***************************ADVERTISEMENT***************************
Outpost.com has the very latest and best in audio & video from
Tweeter!  FREE OVERNIGHT DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS OVER $100!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304469&d=1083105

 That's all for today-- keep visiting our site,
 and keep watching The Screen Savers-- it's good
 for you!

You are subscribed to this newsletter with the following email address:
cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like to unsubscribe at any time, please reply to this message with
"UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. Or send an email to:
screen_savers_today-off@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you would like to update your email address visit the TechTV Newsletter hub
at:  http://www.techtv.com/interact/newsletters/