[cts-newsletters-html] MS Office Treasures: Part II/Freeze Background

  • From: "Call for Help Daily" <call_for_help_daily@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:14:18 MST

"It's not your fault!"

Call for Help
www.techtv.com/callforhelp

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

HIDDEN OFFICE TREASURES: PART II
Martin's back presenting the secret tips of MS Office. Read all about
expanding the possibilities of Excel here:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304461&d=1079581

WEB WORKSHOP
Today, Silicon Ali shows us how to deep-freeze a background image
with HTML.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304461&d=1079582

WINDOWS TIP
Program your own hotkeys to quickly launch your favorite programs:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304461&d=1079583

DOUBLE TAKE
How can Leo Laporte be in two places at one time? Thanks to Leo's
body double, Shannon Shea, he can.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304461&d=1079584

TODAY'S LINKS
Read the Show Notes for all of today's show content:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304461&d=1079585

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
***************************Advertisement***************************
Memory PC - Memory prices have fallen substantially, and
Outpost.com is passing that savings on to you! With FREE DELIVERY.
OVERNIGHT.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304461&d=1079586
*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
Leo's Show Notes for Thursday, February 22, 2001...

* Oversensitive Mouse

Michael, Rockville Center, NY has trouble with his
screen saver because his mouse is too sensitive. Even
a breath of wind is enough to wake the screen saver
up. Some screen savers can be set to ignore mouse
movement. If yours can't, you can also turn down the
mouse's sensitivity by opening the Mouse control
panel, clicking the Pointer Options tab, then
decreasing the Pointer Speed. A slower mouse is a
less sensitive mouse.

* AMD vs Pentium

Ronnie from Gastonia, NC wants to buy a new PC and
he's wondering whether to get an AMD Thunderbird or
Pentium IV processor. Since both processors are
functionally nearly identical, I'd get the cheaper of
the two which is AMD. In fact, our tests show a 1.2
GHz Athlon is a little faster in many cases than a
1.4 GHz Pentium IV.

I also don't recommend buying the top of the line
processor because you'll pay a premium for the
bragging rights. Get the next fastest to save lots of
money.

A check with
http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/hardware/weekly_cpu/
shows that a top of the line 1.2 Ghz Thunderbird is
$253 ($294 for the high speed bus version). I'd get
the 1 Ghz for $175. It's virtually just as fast.
Compare that to the top of the line 1.5 Ghz P4 for
$579 - twice as much for comparable performance. The
gigahertz P3 is $256 - about the same as the 1.2 Ghz
T-Bird and $80 more than the gigahertz T-Bird. Take
the extra bucks and get more RAM, a bigger screen, or
a faster video card. You'll get much more bang for
your buck.

* Scandisk

James from Muncie, IN wants to know what scandisk is
and how often to use it. Scandisk checks to make sure
your disk's file system is intact. It's like a
librarian who goes through the card catalog to make
sure it matches the actual books on the shelves. It's
important to to this regularly so you'll catch errors
before they get worse. I'd do a regualr scandisk at
least weekly and a thorough scandisk monthly.

---------------- Lightning Round ---------------

* Virtual Memory

Cameron from New York, NY wants to know if he should
let Windows manage virtual memory or set it manually.
Virtual memory is disk space the computer uses if it
runs out of RAM. The disk is slower, of course, but
it beats crashing. I'd let Windows manage it, myself.

* Mac on a PC

George from NJ wants to run Mac software on Windows.
You can do it. Sort of. With programs like Executor
from http://www.ardi.com, but it's not worth it. If
you want to run Mac software, get a Mac. If you want
to run Windows software get a PC.

* Homepage

Patrick from Huntersville, NC wants a recommendation
for a good start page on the web. I use
http://my.yahoo.com. My Excite, http://my.excite.com,
and Lycos, http://my.lycos.com are also good.

* Testing modem line noise

Steve from Peabody, MA wondered if there's a way to
check his telephone lines for noise. Sure, and thanks
to Clint from Fountain Valley, CA for the link to
http://www.usr.com/products/line-test.asp

That's it from the Call for Help crew. Thanks for
watching. Becky's in tomorrow for Back to Basics.
I'll be back on Monday. Meanwhile remember, it's not
your fault!

Leo
*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
***************************ADVERTISEMENT***************************
iWin.com - eXtreme lotto. Win $1 million dollars today! Win
thousands of dollars, just for having friends!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304461&d=1079593
*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

NETCAM WITH US
Don't forget... If you have a netcam and a computer question... go
to the Netcam Cineplex located in our chat room 45 minutes before
the show starts, talk to Joshua, and you can get on TechTV. Plus
we'll send you your very own Call for Help cup holder, just like
the one Leo uses.
If you would like to update your email address visit the TechTV Newsletter hub
at:  http://www.techtv.com/interact/newsletters/.

*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*

CABLE IN THE CLASSROOM
Are you a student with a question about computers? Are you a
teacher who realizes that computers aren't just a passing fad?  If
you answered 'Yes' to either question, then your school could
appear on Call for Help. If kids at your school are into computers,
and need their questions answered, contact us and you may get it
answered on TV! Send all questions to CIC@xxxxxxxxxxx

For more information, please visit our Cable in the Classroom
homepage:
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304461&d=1079594