[cts-newsletters-html] First Episode Scandal/Bookmark Management

  • From: "The Screen Savers Today" <screen_savers_today@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 21:12:48 MST

EXPOSED! The Belly Button Incident:

http://www.thescreensavers.com

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--What's Up Today--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

THE BELLY BUTTON INCIDENT
Founding host Kate Botello reveals the deepest,
darkest secret of the show's first episode.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298165&d=1003584

WATCH A CLIP FROM THE FIRST EPISODE
We reached deep into our vault for a slice of
geek history: the first Screen Savers show.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298165&d=1003585

JOIN OUR PRODUCTION MEETING
Web Producer Roman Loyola will host a chat about
your ideas for TSS website. Here's the schedule.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298165&d=1003586

OPEN SOURCE AS A BUSINESS
Eric Allman talks about Sendmail
and the future of Open Source.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298165&d=1003587

ORGANIZE YOUR BOOKMARKS
The Help & How-To Zone's own Megan Morrone shows
us a few ways to organize Web browser bookmarks.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298165&d=1003588

HELP & HOW-TO ZONE
Go to TechTV's library for tips and trick
for Windows, Linux, Macintosh and more.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298165&d=1003589

ALL THE LINKS FROM TODAY'S SHOW
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298165&d=1003590

***************************Advertisement***************************
Memory PC - Memory prices have fallen substantially, and
Outpost.com is passing that savings on to you! With FREE DELIVERY.
OVERNIGHT.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298165&d=1003591

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
SHOW NOTES for Wednesday, February 7, 2001 (repeat of
January 25, 2001)...

* How do I overburn CD-Rs???

Rosario from Windsor, Ontario, Canada can't burn 80 Minute
CD-Rs. Burning CDs of this length is called 'overburning'
'cause it involves burning tracks onto areas of CD-R media
that, well, weren't supposed to store your data. At least
according to the original specs.

Many CD-R burners don't support overburning. Nor do many
brands of burning software. And, of course, you need to
have 80-minute capable media.

With all that said, Rosario, you're gonna need new
software. Leo's a huge fan of Nero, and it supports
overburning:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=111113856&i=296363&d=939468

The best source we know of for CD-R info, the Fadden CD-
ROM FAQ:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=111113856&i=296363&d=939469]

Roger found CD Media World, too, which discusses drives
and software that support 80 minutes discs, overburning,
and oversizing:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=111113856&i=296363&d=939470

* Connect two PCs!

Ben from Menomonee, Wisconsin wants to network two PCs
together via Ethernet for file sharing and gaming. Should
he use a hub, or a crossover cable?

If you ever want to add a third (or more) PCs, a hub would
be a good idea. If not, or if you don't want to spend the
minimal amount of moolah right now, you could go with a
simple crossover cable.

That's a specially wired Ethernet cable that swaps the
receive and send wires so can connect two machines
directly to each other. For file sharing, Leo says the
simplest protocol to use is NetBEUI, which you set up in
Network properties. Make sure you enable password
protection.

Here's a Screen Savers story on how to create a crossover
cable:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=111113856&i=296363&d=939471

* PDA or Laptop for the younger geeks?

Keith called in from Aspen, Colorado to find out if he
should get his 13 year old daughter a laptop, or a PDA and
desktop computer. Well, Keith, how responsible is she?

Laptops are expensive, fragile, and easy to steal.
Desktops are pretty robust, stable, easier to upgrade,
less expensive, and, well, hard to carry to the library.
Uh, I vote for the desktop!

If she (or you) can think of good reasons for her to have
a PDA, you could get her a Palm Pilot, Visor, PSION, or
WinCE based portable. We'd probably look for a keyboard
based product, though, on second thought, she's probably
at a perfect age to learn to learn Graffiti on the Palm!

Here's a Psion story:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=111113856&i=296363&d=939472

Here's Martin's article on Picking the right PDA:
 http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=111113856&i=296363&d=939473

* FTP recco

Chris from Anchorage, Alaska wants to find a new FTP
server for Linux. He's having a tough time setting up
permissions on the FTP server that came in his Linux
Mandrake install, WU-FTP.

Well, Chris, you've managed to install Apache on Linux.
That's hard. Leo says this is just grunt work... and you
should create new users with limited permission. Just give
these users FTP access only. That'll be part of your Linux
permission groups.

You can do it!!! Here's a link to the Linux FTP HOWTO:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=111113856&i=296363&d=939474

* New hard drive, no directions

Tom from Milwaukee Wisconsin just bought a new hard drive
for his PC. It's an OEM version with no instructions, tho.
No problem. If it's the second drive in the system, jumper
it as a slave. (The info for that is usually on the drive
itself.)

Find an available power tail to power the drive, or get a
power splitter to attach it. Then plug it into the same
drive cable as the old hard drive. Just make sure you
align the red side of the IDE cable closest to the power
plug on the drive.

Oh yeah!!! You need to mount it inside the case some how.
Look for an open 3.5-inch drive slot, or buy some 5.25
inch rails from a computer store. Don't have screws? Well,
we always save 'em out of our old systems. You might have
to check the local hardware store.

* FXP or FTP

Tammy from Hillside, New Jersey wants to know the
difference between FTP and FXP. Well, FTP is the File
Transfer Protocol that folks use to move info off of
servers and onto your 'puter. FXP is a File Exchange
Protocol you can use to move files directly between two
FTP servers.

Or, alternately, FXP is a Foreign Exchange Protocol which
is a currency converter that works over the web.

We're pretty sure you're all about the FTP, though, Tammy.
Check out FlashFXP:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=111113856&i=296363&d=939475

Tammy clued us into a spiffy site that helps folks find
bargains. It's called SlickDeals. Here's the link:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=111113856&i=296363&d=939476

* Some words on OEM software...

Philip from St. Charles, Missouri wants to know if it's OK
to buy OEM Original Equipment Manufactures software. Well,
sort of. It's a buyer beware situation.

These are packages setup for PC vendors to bundle with new
machines. Think Dell, Gateway, or your local computer
store. Sometimes they're bundled with new motherboards and
chips. Tech Support for software might be different than
from Retail package

We find it for sale in our area all the time. Leo thinks
it might be illegal. Uh-oh. Sounds like we've stomped into
another legal grey area where angels would fear to tread.

We'd be cautious, and watch out for scams. Make sure it's
not pirated or stolen. In fact, we'd call up Microsoft or
the publisher to see what they have to say about it. We're
going to.

* Save the master drive

Wayne from East Orange, New Jersey cammed in with a hard
drive problem. His machine has 2 hard drives, but the PC
doesn't recognize the first, his boot hard drive, from a
cold start. But if he reboots again, his PC can see that
drive.

Leo feels its a power supply issue, that the drive doesn't
have enough juice to spin up cold, but it makes it on that
second boot. Just for fun, try booting without the second
drive plugged in. If it boots fine, you might need a new
power supply.

And, hey, double-check that BIOS!

Thanks for watching!
Patrick

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

***************************Advertisement***************************
Can't remember where that great Web site was? Now you don't have
to! Access your favorite sites from any computer, anywhere. Click
here! http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298165&d=1003601

 That's all for today-- keep visiting our site,
 and keep watching The Screen Savers-- it's good
 for you!

You are subscribed to this newsletter with the following email address:
cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like to unsubscribe at any time, please reply to this message with
"UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. Or send an email to:
screen_savers_today-off@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you would like to update your email address visit the TechTV Newsletter hub
at:  http://www.techtv.com/interact/newsletters/