[cts-newsletters-html] Dune/TSS Sounds Pt. 3

  • From: "The Screen Savers Today" <screen_savers_today@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:03:15 MST

We can feel your love:

http://www.thescreensavers.com

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--What's Up Today--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

GEEK LIBRARY: DUNE
Leo reviews Frank Herbert's sci-fi classic.
Leo also talks about the movie and TV versions.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041927

LEO & PATRICK SOUNDS, PART 2
Missing the second set of sounds?
Click on the link below.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041928

PATRICK & LEO SOUNDS, PART 1
Didn't download the first set of
sounds? No sweat. Here's the link.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041929

YOUR LINUX KNOWLEDGE CAN GET YOU FREE STUFF
Take our Supergeek Challenge. It's all
about Linux. You'll win free stuff.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041930

COMPUTER LOVE
Can cyber romance be cheating?
Talk back and take the poll.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041931

HELP & HOW-TO ZONE
Can't figure something out? Chances are you'll
find the answer in the Help & How-To Zone.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041932

THE RETURN OF RUSS
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041933

ALL THE LINKS FROM TODAY'S SHOW
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041934

***************************Advertisement***********************
Memory PC - Memory prices have fallen substantially, and
Outpost.com is passing that savings on to you!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041935

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

The Screen Savers Show Notes for Wednesday, February 14th,
2001...

Happy V-Day!!!

* Sound editing software

Robert cammed in from Montezuma, Iowa. He's converting his
books on tape into MP3 format, and is in search of some
good audio editing software. Search no more! For $41.97,
you can download a full version of our favorite, Sound
Forge XP 4.5. It's from Sonic Foundry, here's the link:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/NewShowProduct.asp?PID=6

While you're out on the web, check out Leo's fave audio
book MP3 newsgroups:

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.books

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.spoken-word

* Win2K vs the new Windows XP

Pete from Knoxville, Tennessee just got Windows 2000 up
and running. Would we replace it with Windows XP? Well,
Windows XP, essentially a consumer version of the oh-so-
stable core in Win2k with a spiffy new interface, and, an
icky licenscing fee system, probably won't ship for months
and months.

If you're feeling adventurous, and don't mind the pain,
sure, you can upgrade to XP as soon as it's available. If
you're machine is a bit more mission critical, we'd wait
until a few months after XP ships. That's when most of the
major bugs should be worked out of the new OS.

* VPN between Routers

Tom and Jo from Arlington, Virgina called in today,
Valentine's Day, the one year anniversary of their first
appearance on The Screen Savers. They we're looking tres'
spiffy, in tux and evening wear. Tom was looking for help
setting up a VPN between two routers on his personal
network, but behind his firewall.

You shouldn't neeed VPN inside your network, unless you're
trying to hide something from Jo. (A weak joke, but hey,
it was mine.) You also shouldn't need the two additional
routers. The Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router that's
between you and your connection to the Internet (I think
it was an Etherfast...) should take care of assigniing IP
addresses to all the systems on your home network.

At this point, things, well, got a bit confused. Tom
mentionted that they need to use two static IPs. Leo
suggested using one for the main router, dumping the
secone pair of routers, and putting the second IP address
in the Linksys box's DMZ. He's sending us a follow up
email with more information on the setup. Hopefully we can
get it up and pushing packets!

* Internet Connection Sharing

Kevin from Albany, New York needs to set up a home network
between 3 PCs. How would share his dialup connection
between the machines? Well, the computer that's connected
to the Internet, ie the one with the modem in it, becomes
a gateway for the rest of the network.

Kevin wasn't real thrilled with the ICS (Internet
Connection Sharing) program in Windows. No worries:
AnalogX gives away a nifty program called Proxy that'l
take care of you. Here's the link:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

We also mentioned the Linux Router Project. This version
of Linx "...is small enough to fit on a single 1.44MB
floppy disk, and makes building and maintaining routers,
access servers, thin servers, thin clients, network
appliances, and typically embedded systems next to
trivial." It's pretty cool, and you can find it here:

http://www.linuxrouter.org/

* Multi-OS Boot

Kevin from Wisner, Nebraska wanted to know if you set up a
multi-boot system with more than two operating systems.
Absolutely! In theory, you can run as many as you have
room for on your hard drives. (In reality, I haven't seen
anybody having more than 8 different OSs to boot into at
startup. 8 was scary enough.

Kevin's been looking into a triple boot system running
Win98, BeOS, and Linux. We recommend you intall them in
this order: Win98, then Linux, and finally BeOS. If you
load Win98 last, it'll wipe out the MBR Linux sets up. And
BeOS has a kicking multiboot program it can install for
you.

Finally, if you'd like some serious multi-boot weaponry,
check out System Commander 6.0 from VCom. You can learn
more about it here:

http://www.systemcommander.com/product/pc_ind.html

* Mail sounds!

Before I scoot off, I need to give ya'll the link to mail
sounds we promised in our final emails. It's called
"You've Got Mail!" You can download a ton of sounds from
it here:

http://newmail.monsterserve.com/tv.htm

Happy valentine's day...
Patrick

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

***************************Advertisement***********************
50% off factory-reconditioned models of The Ionic Breeze Silent Air

Purifier from SharperImage.com.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304324&d=1041941

 That's all for today-- keep visiting our site,
 and keep watching The Screen Savers-- it's good
 for you!

You are subscribed to this newsletter with the following email address:
cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like to unsubscribe at any time, please reply to this message with
"UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. Or send an email to:
screen_savers_today-off@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you would like to update your email address visit the TechTV Newsletter hub
at:  http://www.techtv.com/interact/newsletters/