[cts-newsletters-html] Blasts from the Past/More Show Ideas

  • From: "The Screen Savers Today" <screen_savers_today@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 21:12:38 MST

Blasts from the past:

http://www.thescreensavers.com

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--What's Up Today--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

SHALL WE DANCE?
Kate and Leo dance for you in this clip
from the very first Screen Savers show.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006982

BIRTH OF THE ULTIMATE GAMING MACHINE
Watch as Kate and Leo show off the Ultimate
Gaming Machine in its 1998 configuration.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006983

THE BELLY BUTTON INCIDENT
Finally the secret of the first show is
revealed. Kate Botello tells all.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006984

WATCH US REHEARSE
On Friday, February 9, we'll have a rehearsal on the new set
from 8:30 to 10 p.m. EST. Watch through our spycams.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006985

NOTES FROM OUR PRODUCTION MEETING
Read the show ideas from our brainstorming
session on February 7, 2001.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006986

LINUX HTML EDITOR
Woody Hughes shows us a
WYSIWYG HTML editor for Linux.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006987

BACKING UP THE WINDOWS REGISTRY
How to preserve the heart of
Windows when you modify it.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006988

HELP & HOW-TO ZONE
Go to TechTV's library for tips and trick
for Windows, Linux, Macintosh and more.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006989

ALL THE LINKS FROM TODAY'S SHOW
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006990

***************************Advertisement***************************
Memory PC - Memory prices have fallen substantially, and
Outpost.com is passing that savings on to you! With FREE DELIVERY.
OVERNIGHT.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1006991

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
SHOW NOTES for Thursday, February 8, 2001 (repeat of
January 26, 2001)...

* Windows 2000 Gaming *

Jason from Alpharetta, Georgia wants to know if games that run on
Win98 will run on Windows 2000. Leo loves gaming on Win2K, it's his
primary platform at home. Most newer games will run with no
problems. You'll probably have some trouble with older 3D games.
Here's a whole website about Windows 2000 gaming:

http://www.win2kgamer.com

* Dual Sound Cards *

Erik from Duluth, Minnesota wants to know if you can have two sound
cards in your PC, one for gaming, and a high end one for audio
editing. The quick answer? Yup! You'll have to switch between them
in the Multimedia Control Panel. Just click on the Audio tab, and
select the card you want to use for Playback and Recurding in the
dropdown menu under 'Preferred Audio Device.'

* Windows 98 and Older Games *

Jim from Las Vegas, Nevada can't run his old DOS games under Win98.
Sounds like you're using either the 'DOS' in Win98, and its trying
to run those games as windows apps.... Roger thinks is a memory
protection error.

We'd try to get an older standalone DOS, like the old DOS 6.0, or
DR DOS, not the one with windows, and create a custom boot disk. If
you do get it running, and the game is moving to fast to play
(Think about it... early DOS games ran on 12 MHz processors, and
most new PCs have 800 MHz processors!), Martin says to check out Mo
Slo:

http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

Here are a couple sites with FAQ's on how to play old DOS games
under Windows:

Gangsters.Org:

http://www.gangsters.org/

The Underdogs:

http://www.theunderdogs.org/

* High-End Video Editing *

Toni from Breman, Georgia wants to learn Adobe Premiere, a fairly
complex video editing program. Unfortunately, she says, all the
tutorials are online... that makes 'em a pain to access. We'd check
the 'racks' at Amazon.com, or your local giganto-bookstore for a
hefty hands on book about your version of Premiere.

Normally I'd say check your local independent bookseller, but,
frankly, in years of looking, I still haven't found one to compare
to the average B&N or Border's computer section. Sniffle. That's
the first place a lot of geeks head... they should have a half
dozen books on Premiere. Just look for one that suits your style!

You might also consider travelling to take a class on Premiere.

* Pentium Pro CPU's *

Ty from Topsham, Maine has a Socket 8 (Pentium Pro) system. He's
looking to upgrade to a something faster than the 200 MHz processor
in the system. The only place we can consistantly find PPro chips
these days, Ty, is on eBay. And they pretty much all top out at 200
MHz.

Unfortunately, Intel dumped the Socket 8 for the Slot 1 for the
Pentium II, and are now back to   a socket, the Socket 370. Which,
in a frustrating little nutshell, means that most folks have to buy
a new mobo to upgrade their processor. And if Intel (and AMD) keep
juggling socket form factors, most folks will continue to have to
upgrade their mobos to get a faster chip after 3 years or so.

Conspiracy? Possibly. But it means it's time to buy a new mobo, and
move onto a new processor family, Ty. We'd check out an Athlon
processor and mobo; cheaper than the PIII, and the performance
boost will wow you. (Of course, the cost of buying a mobo,
processor and RAM might wow you, too.)

* Understanding RAID *

Steven from Colorado Springs, Colorado wants to know how a RAID
array works. A RAID is a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, and
it's a nifty way to use lots of inexpensive hard drives together to
make them faster, more fault toleratant, and, sometimes, even less
expensive than one big hard drive. A few years ago RAID required
costly SCSI hard drives, but Promise Technology (www.promise.com)
introduced RAID cards to the less expensive world of IDE drives a
year or two ago. (Go promise!)

There are three common types of RAID:

RAID 0 strips chunks of data across multiple disks. It's designed
to speed up disk performance.

RAID 1 simultaneously mirrors the contents of one drive to a second
drive mirroring. It offers data security. If the first drive goes
down, all your data is still on the second drive.

RAID 5 combines striping and error checking to deliver higher
speeds and data integrity. Sort of the best of both worlds!

Want to learn about even more types or RAID? Check this out:

http://www.acnc.com/raid.html

* Powerbook CD-RW *

Jim from Winona Lake, Indiana wants to buy a CD-RW for his
PowerBook G3. Want to share it between multiple machines? You could
use USB or Firewire with an external drive unit. Our buddies at
MacWorld highly reccomend USB drives from these folks:

Que Drive:

http://www.qps-inc.com/

La Cie Easy Drive:

http://www.lacie.com/scripts/cddvd/cdrwintro.cfm

If you don't need to use the drive with other machines, just get an
internal one that can travel inside your PowerBook. VST
Technologies makes 'em. Here's the link:

http://www.vsttech.com/vst/products.nsf/2000?OpenView&Start=1&Count=30&Expand=4.2#4.2

* Win2K Web Server *

Jason from Voorhees, New Jersey runs Personal Web Server on Windows
ME. Is it worth to upgrade to Windows 2000 to run a personal web
server? If he's happy with the performance of WinMe, and isn't
worried about WinMe's (comparable) lack of security, we say don't
spend the cash. If you've got a second machine to work with, you
might try Linux Mandrake and Apache as a lower cost alternative to
Win2K. It'll be just as secure, and if you can get 'em up and
running, you'll probably find you can make pretty good bank
peddling your Linux and Apache skills!

Thanks for watching,
Patrick

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

***************************Advertisement***************************
Can't remember where that great Web site was? Now you don't have
to! Access your favorite sites from any computer, anywhere. Click
here! http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=298166&d=1007000

 That's all for today-- keep visiting our site,
 and keep watching The Screen Savers-- it's good
 for you!

You are subscribed to this newsletter with the following email address:
cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like to unsubscribe at any time, please reply to this message with
"UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. Or send an email to:
screen_savers_today-off@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you would like to update your email address visit the TechTV Newsletter hub
at:  http://www.techtv.com/interact/newsletters/