[cts-newsletters-html] American McGee/Laptop Security

  • From: "The Screen Savers Today" <screen_savers_today@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:13:21 MST

America, America:

http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304466&d=1071783

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--What's Up Today--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

THE MAKING OF ALICE
American McGee talks about game design and the
development of the hit game American McGee's Alice.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304466&d=1071784

STOP THEIVES NOW
We'll take a look at several products
that promise to prevent laptop theft.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304466&d=1071785

MEET PATRICK IN NASHVILLE
Patrick Norton will be in Tennessee at the
InterMedia@Home's Everything Internet seminars on Feb. 24.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304466&d=1071786

TERRORISTS ACTS NOT TOLERATED
Are hackers terrorists? Read the rant, take
the poll, and post on our message board.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304466&d=1071787

HELP & HOW-TO ZONE
Can't figure something out? Chances are you'll
find the answer in the Help & How-To Zone.
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304466&d=1071788

ALL THE LINKS FROM TODAY'S SHOW
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304466&d=1071789

***************************ADVERTISEMENT***************************

iWin.com - eXtreme lotto. Win $1 million dollars today! Win
thousands of dollars, just for having friends!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304466&d=1071790

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
David Prager's Show Notes for Tuesday, February 20, 2001...

The Screen Savers Show notes for Tuesday, February 20, 2001

* DDR RAM

Bradley from Citrus Heights, CA heard that you have to have
two sticks of DDR RAM in order for it to function.

We're about to upgrade our ultimate gaming machine (UGM) and
the new DDR RAM just came in!  The bad news is, we haven't
opened it yet.  The good news is that in our preliminary
looking around, we ran across the Crucial website that says
DDR RAM is not required to be in pairs in order to function.

In fact, the advantages of memory interleaving still
function with one stick of DDR.

Memory interleaving is kind of like RAID for RAM. Its, "...main
memory divided into two or more sections. The CPU can access
alternate sections immediately, without waiting for memory to
catch up (through wait states). Interleaved memory is one
technique for compensating for the relatively slow speed of
dynamic RAM (DRAM). Other techniques include page-mode memory
and memory caches."

* How to make a bootable CD

Roger from Apple Valley, CA wants to create a bootable CD.
You'll need a boot floppy (make sure it has the proper CD
drivers on it if you want to access your CD after you boot).
Most CD recording programs will let you make the CD bootable.
In Adaptec Easy CD Creator, choose create data CD then click
the drop down arrow next to the new button and select Bootable
CD. The record program will load an image of the floppy onto
the CD as it records.

* Disappearing Sounds

Helen from Odenton, MD has a curious problem.  If she is
listening to an MP3 or playing a game that has sound, everytime
a system event occurs the audio drops out.

Many of the older sound cards can't handle more than one audio
channel and as a result, when a simultanneous audio event begins,
the existing audio event may stop.

You can probably stop this by going into the Control Panel,
selecting Sounds, and instructing Windows not to associate audio
with events.

Better yet, we recommend going to a website like Pricewatch and
pick up a new Sound Blaster Live for $50 or less.

http://www.pricewatch.com

* What's the RAMBUS debacle!?

- John from Bryn Mawr, PA called in to ask why Martin said
something about "the Rambus debacle."  So what the heck
is it?

Rambus is a type of memory developed by Rambus, Inc. that
Intel invested in with the hopes that everyone would want
to use it.

If you really want to know the big story on the history of
RAM, DDR, and Rambus.  Read this great article from HardOCP

http://www.hardocp.com/articles/memory/ddrovr/

* RAM Prices

Nick from Hampton, NH ran across a great deal online:
Googlegear (http://www.googlegear.com) selling 256 megs
of Micron RAM for only $89.  He wants to know if its a
good idea to buy it.

RAM is getting incredibly inexpensive, and we say go for
it!

Watch out though, as prices of RAM continue to plummet,
its often worth it to pay just a few extra bucks for a
brand name that you recognize.  Generic RAM is often not
tested to the strictest of standards, whereas recognizable
brand name RAM is tried and true.

Thanks for watching!!

David Prager
+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

***************************ADVERTISEMENT***************************

Outpost.com has the very latest and best in audio & video from
Tweeter!  FREE OVERNIGHT DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS OVER $100!
http://tm0.com/sbct.cgi?s=117655167&i=304466&d=1071794

 That's all for today-- keep visiting our site,
 and keep watching The Screen Savers-- it's good
 for you!

You are subscribed to this newsletter with the following email address:
cts-newsletters-html@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like to unsubscribe at any time, please reply to this message with
"UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. Or send an email to:
screen_savers_today-off@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you would like to update your email address visit the TechTV Newsletter hub
at:  http://www.techtv.com/interact/newsletters/