[csdn-sa] OpenSource Voice Conferencing

  • From: Ian Loxton <ilox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux SA <linuxsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:56:40 +0930

 Looks like I cant make the CSDN meeting today and there are
 probably a number of others who would have liked to have
 been there and participated but for reasons such as distance
 and time couldn't make it. Why don't we put our heads
 together and come up with an IT related solution to this
 problem?

 In the Windows world I have used many different voice chat
 solutions over the years. At present I use Paltalk -
 http://www.paltalk.com - and I find it works very well for me.

 I am sure there are OpenSource solutions that can perform
 just as well on whatever our favoured platform might be.

 With a boundary mike (from Tandy or others) so that those
 attending the meeting can all be heard, plus a moderator
 watching for those on the net raising their 'hands' to be
 heard, it is possible to have a lively meeting with all
 views being canvassed.

 With the right gear we could even have LinuxSA meeting
 streamed onto the net so those that cant make it can at
 least listen in.

 OK folks, here's your chance to be innovative. Lets find a
 solution that allows us to have fuller participation in our
 meetings and really show how IT can be a tool to bring
 people together and enhance our communities.

 Cheers,  Ian

 (For those whose readers cant handle text properly ;-)
 this post has been formatted to a max of 60 chars per line.
 Any problems from now on are with your own system.) <WTIC>

--
This is the Community Software Distribution Network - SA