[CTS] Re: Testing

  • From: "Bruce Eddy" <beddy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:26:59 -0500

Have you tried turning on/off Ultra DMA in Device manager? Make sure Burner
and hard drive are on separate IDE channels? If you have 2 hard drives,
place the Windows swap file on the non-OS drive? a myriad of reasons for
buffer underruns makes it hard to diagnose without a little more info..
Using your burner software, make/save the image 1st, then burn the
CD?....turn off anything else that might be using your resources?? If it's a
slower PC, or has a small amount of ram, start the burn , then don't use the
PC till it's done? Do you have all the latest drivers for your hardware? all
the latest versions of your burner software?
buffer over runs is a whole new ball game? It sounds like the system is
sending info to the burner faster than the burner can handle it? Which
sounds more than a little funky to me?:)))  Just for grins, can you put the
burner back in the old system or just any other system and see if it still
burns? could it be the burner got bumped a bit in the transfer? or possibly
the cables need reseating? If it's an older burner, could the laser be dirty
, not allowing it to transfer the data to the CD fast enough?? (I'm not even
sure if that's possible? But, when you have funky things happening, you kind
of have to think in funky terms.:)) Try removing the IDE plugs and the power
cable and reseating them...anything you can think of that might  interfere
with the power/data transfer...

HTH,
Bruce