[CTS] Re: RAM

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhblake@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:12:48 -0500

I don't doubt that Paul has a lot of time on a machine as many people now
have started in their pre-teens but most of the things being posted by him
take way more than a child to master, such as the S/36. I do know a guy
about the same age that has time on a Cray but his father is a master
programmer on them and has given the younger a lot of hands-on time with
them. Also that's all he knows as he's not had time to dealve into other
things such as hardware repair, other operating systems, etc but he'll be
the first to tell you that while he's fantastic with all aspects of the Cray
supers, he wouldn't know a PDP-11 from a System/34.

I have 3 sons 20, 21 and 22 and they've had contact with all of this stuff
due to me having it around, using it, and them being exposed and using it.
Same as me having a really good idea of what a Chicago policeman's job is
all about as my dad was one for my lifetime until I turned 35 when he
retired (and me being in law enforcement for a period  of nearly 8 yrs in
the AF) but I'm not qualified to tell cops how to do their job.

I wonder with all the time on the computer if he's had a chance to
experience life yet? Go camping, get laid, get drunk, get married and
have/raise 3 or 4 kids, lose a few jobs, get divorced, get sued a few times,
lose a parent or two, do a few years in the military, etc and then stick
that chest out and crow about experience.

Well put Hal.