[CTS] Re: Automated Swtiches

  • From: Ray Roney <qix_68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 03:35:34 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah, i've thought of that too.  I know there are some "hidden switches" in
there, it's just a matter of finding them.

One of them that I found (thanks to one of my co-horts):

This changes your Time Zone to 'Eastern Standard Time':
RunDLL32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %SystemRoot%\system32\TIMEDATE.cpl,,/Z
Eastern Standard Time

So my thought was if it will change my Time Zone, why can't I "flip a few more
switches" and have it "Automatically turn off some other stuff" (Auto-Updates,
Notifications of Firewall, AntiVirus, Updates, etc).

I was thinking a '-t' switch or something.  If you hit ALT+T when that window
is in front of you, it puts the "Radio Button" on "Turn Off Automatic Updates"
and then you click "OK".  Some people just have a hard time doing that...so
figured i'd automate it.

I've also got a Java Control Panel that we turn-off the Updates on which i'd
like to do the same thing with.

That needs to go to the 2nd tab & un-check the box, then force a "Are You
Sure?" kind of dialog box that wont take a "keyboard key" to say "Yes" to....

Also, last-but-not-least....an ATI control panel to eliminate a Taskbar Icon
"switch".

Just playing with this stuff now...been doing the work this way for two
months...just figured better late than never. :)

The time-zone adjustment thing was a cool find on its own...the rest is just my
own personal vendetta against updates. :)

Thanks...

-- Ray --