De: "nicola flamigni" <nicola.flamigni@xxxxxxxxx>
À: "Anne Gincel" <agincel@xxxxxxx>
Envoyé: Mardi 8 Mars 2011 11h29:09 GMT -05:00 Colombie
Objet: PRESS RELEASE Women's Day: PICUM Workshop Report on Undocumented Women

PICUM — The Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants

Brussels, 8th March 2011 PRESS RELEASE

100th Anniversary of International Women’s Day Marks Day of Action for
Exploited and Abused Undocumented Migrant Women in Europe

On this significant anniversary, PICUM brings together the voices of more than
100 migrant women, NGOs, trade unions, and governmental officials from across
Europe to highlight how undocumented migrant women working in Europe’s
households are often denied the most basic protections from exploitation and
abuse with the release of its report “Violence and Exploitation of Undocumented
Migrant Women: Building Strategies to End Impunity” .

While maintaining Europe’s homes and caring for its most vulnerable members of
society, such as children and the elderly, undocumented migrant domestic
workers risk long working hours, non-payment of wages, and the confiscation of
their passports.

“Our policies deny them a way out and our laws criminalise them if they flee”,
reports Eve Geddie, who is leading PICUM’s work on undocumented women. “In
Europe, employers are granted complete control of their domestic workers’ legal
status, but as private homes are largely exempt from workplace inspections,
little attempt is made to check for cases of exploitation and abuse".

Olga, an undocumented migrant worker from Ukraine, found herself in situation
of exploitation, working for a celebrity in Poland. “Now when I think of it, I
cannot believe I survived. I couldn’t go out. They confiscated my passport. No
contacts with friends and family. I was hardly allowed to eat. Each week all I
was given was one loaf of wholemeal bread and a pack of margarine. I woke up at
6 am and worked until 12 pm. When the lady came home from work, it did not
matter how late it was, I was supposed to open the door of her car, take her
things, bring them to the kitchen, put things on their places, untie her
shoelaces, help her undr ess.”

Undocumented migrant domestic workers in exploitative situations often have no
way out. Workers can easily become undocumented with little chance to
re-regularise their situation and in the worst cases, employers purposely cause
their workers to become irregular so they are easier to manipulate. Without a
transparent set of rights for domestic workers, private homes become for
undocumented migrant women among the most dangerous places to work in Europe.

PICUM’s report illustrates the extremely worrying situation across the EU ,
where national laws and policies openly discriminate against undocumented
migrant women:

-- Many EU countries lack a definition of ‘domestic work’ or ‘workplace’ which
has been described as a ‘black hole in legislation’ by advocates.

-- In Belgium and the United Kingdom, labour inspectors require a police
warrant before entering a private home, meaning that exploitative employers are
essentially protected from such control.

-- In Spain, labour law forbids the firing of a woman due to her pregnancy, but
this legal provision does not apply to domestic workers, an estimated 60% of
whom are migrant women.

-- Diplomatic immunity presents a significant challenge as diplomats can invoke
their immunity to avoid prosecution for exploitation of domestic workers. 2011
marks both the 100th anniversary of International Women’s Day and the 100th
Session of the International Labour Conference of the International Labour
Organisation (ILO). Linking this focus on women’s rights and labour rights,
migrant domestic workers around the world have called for an international day
of mobilisation to raise support for the development of an international
standard in the ILO to guarantee decent work for domestic workers.

In order to address the often hidden and undervalued nature of domestic work,
it is essential that Member States of the European Union support the drafting
process of the International Labour Organisation’s Convention and
Recommendation on Decent Work for Domestic Workers by affirming the right of
migrant domestic workers to fair pay and conditions regardless of their
administrative status.

PICUM is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) that aims to promote respect for
the human rights of undocumented migrants within Europe.

PICUM's bulletin is currently the only information source dedicated to
exclusively reporting on the situation of undocumented migrants in Europe.

Sign up for PICUM bulletin and follow us at FacebookTwitter

CONTACT US
Gaucheretstraat 164
1030 Brussels — Belgium
Google Map