[colombiamigra] Fw: [SUNTA] CFP: New School Anthropology Conference, "Rethinking Inheritance"

  • From: william mejia <wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:40:07 -0800 (PST)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Angela Jancius <jancius3022@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: urbanth-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 6:00 PM
Subject: [SUNTA] CFP: New School Anthropology Conference, "Rethinking
Inheritance"

Call for Participants

The New School for Social
Research

2012 Anthropology Conference: “Rethinking
Inheritance”

April 28th, 2012

http://inheritanceconference.wordpress.com

Keynote Speaker: Gil Anidjar (Religion/MESAAS,
Columbia)

Closing Remarks: Miguel Robles-Duran (Urban Design, Parsons The
New
School for Design)

The Theme: Inheritance has typically been
conceived as a passive
process of reception. Yet, inheritance also implies
claims to
something. Claiming inheritance and claiming selves, communities,
nations and other units as heirs is an active practice. How can we
better conceptualize the labor involved in establishing inheritance?
How
are inheritances rejected, resisted, renewed, reformed, or
renegotiated? How
are identity and belonging implicated in inheritance?

As we begin to
think of inheritance in multiple registers, we hope to
challenge its
supposed passivity and expand its conceptualization.
What does it mean to
inherit a citizenship, a nationality, a legal
framework, or an ethnicity,
and what are the modes for these
inheritances? How can inheritance be
employed to think through
temporal relationships of historical
consciousness, collective memory,
and their narration? We also hope to think
together about how active
inheritance relates to materialities and
economies, financial
institutions, and the act of making claims on
properties, whether
virtual or physical. Similarly, we can consider
inheritance in terms
of spaces and boundaries, wondering how territories are
passed down
and how borders are maintained.

Seeking: Participants who
are engaged in creative and critical
rethinking of inheritance in ways that
may include, but certainly are
not limited to the ideas above. As part of
this process, we are
reimagining the conference format that we have
inherited as scholars.
Rather than curating panels in which participants
read papers, we seek
an active, dialogue-driven event featuring multiple
conversations
through which attendees can move, beginning with a keynote
address
from Gil Anidjar and closing with a second address by Miguel Robles-
Duran that reflects on what we have thought and experienced in the
course of the day. To prompt discussion and encourage an expansion of
the mediums with and through which we think inheritance, we encourage
submissions of “objects” (including, but not limited to, physical
objects, artifacts, short film clips, photographs, texts, games,
artwork, music/sound, and performance) alongside a brief 300-500 word
statement explaining your choice of “object” and how it relates to our
theme. When selecting participants, we will primarily be looking for
innovative ideas that identify a "site" of inquiry that attendees will
engage with during the event. We are NOT looking for finished papers
or
solidified arguments. Rather, your submitted “object” and/or
critical
engagement will inspire new questions and interventions
targeting
inheritance. Selected participants will attend the event,
informally present
their “object” or ideas as they relate to
Rethinking Inheritance, and take
part in workshop conversations.

How to Submit: Email submissions, 300-500
word statement, and, if you
are including an object or prompt, a picture or
description to inheritanceconference@xxxxxxxxx
by February 20th, 2012. Please also include your
full name, academic
affiliation, and a current CV in the
email.