[climatematters] US reacts to UK climate change report

  • From: Leslie Coelho <lesliecoelho@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "climatematters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <climatematters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:01:35 +0000

Dear all,
an interesting article from the irish examiner-
US reacts to UK climate change report  The US insisted it was committed to
protecting the environment, finally giving an official response to questions
raised by a British report that warned global warming could devastate the world
economy.By ignoring the problem, the Stern Report released on Monday said,
rising sea levels, heavier floods and more intense droughts could displace 200
million people by the middle of the century.The US is by far the biggest
emitter of gases blamed for global warming, yet President George Bush has kept
his country out of the Kyoto international treaty to reduce greenhouse gases,
saying the pact would harm the US economy.Responding to questions about the
report, White House spokesman Tony Snow told reporters that Mr Bush “has, in
fact, contrary to stereotype, been actively engaged in trying to fight climate
change and will continue to do so”.
Australia and the United States are the only industrialised countries that have
refused to ratify the 1997 Kyoto agreement, which sets targets for 35 countries
to reduce carbon emissions that are widely blamed for global warming.Critics
say the battle against global warming can only succeed with the cooperation of
the United States and have questioned US policies on climate change.James
Connaughton, the White House environment council chief, said: “The notion that
the nations of the world are sitting still is just patently absurd.

“Hundreds of billions of dollars of investment are going into this very
important issue, and trillions more will go into it in the coming decades. So
our effort is harnessing that as wisely as we can."Paula Dobriansky, the under
secretary of state for global affairs, said the United States has invested more
than $20bn over the last five years in research and technology development on
the issue.“Our approach comprises taking actions now. We put significant money
into actions now,” she said.Ms Dobriansky and Mr Connaughton made their
comments at an event for the Asia-Pacific Partnership, which joins the United
States with Australia, China, India, Japan and South Korea – producers of half
the world’s greenhouse gases - in efforts to attract private money for cleaner
energy technologies.The US officials said the six countries have endorsed 98
collaborative projects meant to find new technologies to reduce emissions of
carbon dioxide and other gases believed to be warming Earth’s atmosphere.In the
UK, a new Climate Change Bill will include moves to help the UK reduce its
emissions from 1990 levels by 60%, by 2050, according to Environment Secretary
David Miliband.
LeslieClimate Change Action an excellent site which will open your eyes click
here to visit Climate Change Action
Stop Global Warming join the virtual march today
Our mission is to use the strength of numbers to urge our government to join
the rest of the world in addressing global warming, and urge business to start
a new industrial revolution of clean energy that reduces our dependence on oil.
Make your voice heard Click here