[climatematters] FW: News From the Stop Global Warming Virtual March

  • From: Leslie Coelho <lesliecoelho@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "climatematters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <climatematters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:17:09 +0000

I thought I'd forward this to you. Hope you find it informative

Leslie
DIRTY COAL ON THE RISE IN TEXAS
With all of the attention on the recent elections, you may have missed a story
with serious implications for the future of our planet.
In Texas, the TXU Corporation plans to spend $10 billion to build 11 new dirty
coal-fired power plants that will guarantee huge amounts of global warming
emissions for decades to come. The company announced it is also considering
major coal plant projects in the Northeast and Midwest. According to a recent
New York Times article, opposition groups say "that TXU is embarking on its
immense construction campaign without taking account of its role in an emerging
environmental catastrophe." And the state of Texas is already the number one
carbon emitter in the country. It appears that Governor Rick Perry is
fast-tracking the permit process for TXU so that the plants can be built before
federal laws will hopefully be put in place.
A growing number of Texas mayors are opposing the TXU proposal through the
Texas Cities for Clean Air Coalition, including the mayors of Houston, Dallas,
El Paso, Fort Worth, and over a dozen other cities state wide from both
political parties. Conservative Republican Robert Cluck, the mayor of
Arlington, is leading the charge on global warming in Texas -- concerned for
the environmental impact but as a medical doctor also for the public health
impacts of dirty coal.
SPREAD THE WORD: "AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH" AVAILABLE ON DVD December 26 (UK)
Movie critic Roger Ebert said, "In 39 years, I have never written these words
in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film."
Buy two copies of "An Inconvenient Truth" and donate one to a school.  BUY DVD
NOW
TAKE ACTION IN SCHOOLSTeachers and Students: To learn more ways to take action
at your school, visit the new Classroom section of StopGlobalWarming.org
TELL A FRIEND
By marching, you have taken the first step to be part of the movement to stop
global warming. We are now over 517,000 marchers strong. The best way to grow
the movement to stop global warming is to urge your friends and family to join
the March too.  CLICK HERE to invite friends to join the March.
Keep Marching!
Laurie DavidFounderStopGlobalWarming.orgTo sign up for the Stop Global Warming
Virtual March, please visit http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/
If you do not want futher messages from Stop Global Warming, simply go here and
we will remove you from our list.Buzztone, 15260 Ventura Blvd. Suite 2100
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403