[CHS-L } TIGERS 41 Lutheran North 56

  • From: "W. Keith Currie" <wkcurrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CHS-list <CHS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:41:26 -0800 (PST)

November 16, 2013  TIGERS  41  Lutheran North  56

As most of you know, I have typed a “biased summary” of
every Caruthersville Tiger football game, win or lose, for the last 10
years.  Due to my personal “bias”,
I can honestly say that this will be the most difficult summary that I have
ever had to type.  You see, my
oldest daughter is a senior, and she is one of the most devoted Caruthersville
Tigers fans out there.  We were
kidding her that she has shed more tears over lost Tigers games than over
boys!  ;-)  This years’ Senior Tigers will always
have a special place in my heart.  I have literally seen EVERY game these boys
have ever played as Tigers,
from 7th grade…all the way until today.  It has truly been an honor to watch
those guys grow into
young men.  It also made it easy as
they never lost a game in 7th grade or 8th grade, and
amassed a 43-8 total record as varsity Tigers.  More on them and their
accomplishments later…on to the
summary.

It was a colder than expected day in the northern St. Louis
area as the Crusaders of Lutheran North (hereinafter referred to as “LN”)
played host to our Tigers in the Missouri Class 2 Quarterfinals.  Lots of wind,
and even a little bit of
rain also made conditions for the fans a little unpleasant, but the field was
fair
and the conditions did not appear to have a substantial negative impact on
either team.

The Tigers won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half.  The Tigers, clad in their
red pants, white jerseys and red helmets kicked off to LN.  The game started
perfectly for the
Tigers as the Tiger defense forced a 3 and punt, giving the Tigers the ball in
great field position at the LN43.  Darrell Monroe carried for 8 yards on 1st
down.  Tyler Grissom’s 2nd down
pass was incomplete.  Monroe
carried for 6 yards and a 1st down.  Monroe then carried for 3 yards.  A Tiger
false start penalty made it 2nd and
12.  Grissom passed to Colt Callens
for 9 yards.  Monroe carried for 5
and another 1st down.  Grissom
ran for 2 yards.  Grissom passed to
Jamal Johnson for 10 yards and a 1st and goal from the 5.  Monroe carried for 2
yards.  Jamal Johnson would get the Tigers on
the board with a 3 yard touchdown run.  Callens added the PAT, and the Tigers
had the early lead, 7-0 with 6:47
left in the 1st quarter.

Tiger seniors…every name mentioned thus far are senior
Tigers!

After the kickoff, the Crusader started from their own
25.  Carl Thomas and Isaiah Holman
had a couple of nice runs, before Justin Baker passed to Holman for a 52 yard
TD.  Alex Diedrich added the PAT,
knotting it up at 7-7, with 4:54 left in the first.

Starting from their own 15, the Tiger offense looked nothing
like they did on the 1st drive.  Monroe carried for 1 yard. Grissom carried for
2 yards.  Grissom threw an incomplete pass, and
the Tigers were forced to punt.  First kicking game disaster…LN blocked
Callens’ punt, giving LN the ball
at the Tigers 21.

Holman ran for 4, Thomas for 10, and then Thomas for the 7
yard TD.  Diedrich added the
PAT.  TIGERS  7  LN 14 with 2:46 left in the 1st.

The Tigers offense faired no better on their next
possession.  A Grissom pass was
intercepted by Baker, who returned it to the Tigers 23.

Thomas carried for 12 yards, and then for 2 yards, and again
for no gain as the 1st quarter came to an end with LN threatening deep
in Tiger territory.

Thomas carried for 5 yards.  Baker would get the TD on a 4 yard run.  Diedrich
added the PAT.  Tigers  7  LN  21 with 11:17 left in the half.

The Tigers went exclusively to the air on their next
possession, but 3 incomplete passes forced the Tigers to punt again.  LN would
take over at midfield.

Baker threw an incomplete pass. Thomas carried for 5
yards.  Pass incomplete, setting up
a critical 4th and 5.  Baker dropped back to pass, then sprinted to the
sideline for a 7 yard
gain, and a 1st down.  Baker then ran for 3 yards, and then passed to Brandon
Sumrall down to
the Tigers 7 yardline.  Thomas
carried for 6 yards to the 1.  Baker then sneaked it in from there.  Diedrich
added the PAT.  TIGERS  7  LN 28 with 8:23 left in the half.  It appeared the
route was on, with the
Tigers offense having had no success since their 1st drive.

Starting from their own 23, Grissom hit Jamal Johnson for a
gain of 8.  Grissom then ran for 4
yards, and the 1st Tiger 1st down in a while.  Grissom would throw an icomplete
pass,
then pass to Jamal for a gain of 6 and another incomplete pass on 3rd down.
Callens punted, pinning the
Crusaders at their own 5.

Homan carried for 2 yards.  LN’s Jamal Johnson (yes, a Jamal Johnson on both
teams)
carried for 6 yards.  Thomas
carried for 4 yards and a 1st down.  Baker passed for 33 yards to Holman to the
Tigers 28.  Baker hit Holman again for 13 yards to
the Tigers 15.  Thomas carried for
2.  Holman carried for 3 yards
setting up 3rd and 5.  A
LN false start penalty moved LN back to the 15.  On 3rd and 10 Baker threw
incomplete.  On 4th and 10, Baker was
sacked by Callens at the Tigers 18.

Now, the Tigers we expected to see.  Grissom hit Monroe, who made the catch,
made a man miss and outran the Crusaders 82 yards to the house.  Callens added
the PAT.  TIGERS  14 LN  28 with
1:47 left in the half.

The Crusaders were forced to punt after 3 downs, giving the
ball back to the Tigers with 1:24 left in the half.  If the Tigers could score,
they could get within 1 TD and
have a bunch of momentum for the 2nd half.  Even if they didn’t score, momentum
seemed to be on the side
of the Tigers.

From their own 24, Grissom threw incomplete, ran for 4, and
threw another incomplete pass, setting up 4th and 6 from their own
28.  Another kicking game disaster,
as Holman took the punt at his own 48, ran to his left, and down the sideline
before making several Tigers defenders miss and scoring on the 52 yard punt
return, with just 17 seconds left in the half.  Diedrich added the PAT.  TIGERS
 14  LN  35…momentum Lutheran North…or so it seemed!

It was Tiger sophomore Rodrick Jones who would quickly shift
the momentum in the Tigers favor.  Jones took the 2nd half kickoff at the 14,
weaved his way
through the coverage and then outran everyone to the HOUSE.  86 yard KOR for
TD.  Callens added the PAT.  TIGERS  21  LN  35

The Crusaders would fumble the kickoff, and the Tigers
recovered at the LN 26.  The
Crusader defense seemed poised to stop the Tigers, after stopping Monroe  for 1
yard, Grissom for 1 yard, and
Monroe again for 2 yards.  On 4th and 6 from the 22, Monroe showed why he
should be the unanimous choice for the
Carr Trophy as he bulled his way into the open field and sprinted into the
endzone.   Callens added the
PAT.  TIGERS  28  LN  35 with 9:49
left in the 3rd quarter, and putting the Tigers right back into the
ballgame.

The Crusaders offense would answer however.  Thomas ran for 3.  Holman ran for
no gain.  On 3rd and 7, it was again
Baker picking up the crucial 1st down with a 9 yard run.  Baker threw
incomplete.  Holman was hit it the backfield by
Malik Monroe, broke free, but was dropped for a loss of 8 by Monroe, setting up
a 3rd and 18.  On
probably the most critical play of the game, the Tigers defense blew their
coverage and Baker took advantage, finding Sumrall for a 58 yard bomb, to the
Tigers 7.  Thomas ran for 2, then
it was Holman with the 5 yard TD run.  Diedrich added the PAT.  TIGERS  28  LN
42 with 6:00 left in the 3rd.

The Tigers then fumbled the kickoff, but recovered at their
own 15.  Hunter Trevathan carried
for a 10 yard gain and a 1st down.  Grissom threw incomplete.  Monroe carried
for 4, and again for only 1 on 3rd down.  Callens punted to the
Crusaders 42.

Thomas carried for 3.  Baker incomplete.  Holman
for 5, setting up 4th and 2.  Baker gained just enough for the 1st down.
Thomas ran for 2.  Baker ran for 1.  Again, a complete breakdown in the
Tiger pass coverage as Baker found Demarcus Dotson wide open (and I mean wide
open) for a 45 yard TD pass…and perhaps the final nail in the Tigers
coffin.  Diedrich added the
PAT.  TIGERS  28  LN  49 with 1:30
left in the 3rd quarter.

The actual final nail would come on LN’s next possession,
which followed the Tigers 3rd botched kicking game play as again LN
blocked another punt, giving the Crusaders the ball at the Tigers 39.

A Tiger pass interference penalty moved the Crusaders to the
Tigers 22.  Baker passed for 17
yards to Thomas.  Dotson ran for
4.  Thomas would score from the
1.  Diedrich added the PAT.  TIGERS  28  LN  56 with 11:07 to go in the game.

The Tigers were done, right?  WRONG…as there is NO quit in these Tigers.

The Tigers started from their own 20.  Grissom passed to Trevathan for 10
yards.  Grissom passed to Callens,
who made a spectacular sliding catch for a gain of 28.  Grissom ran for 6
yards, then passed to
Trevathan  for 5 yards.  Grissom ran for 2, and then again hit
Trevathan for a gain of 19 to the Crusaders 10.  Grissom passed again to
Trevathan for 2 yards, then Grissom
ran for a gain of 6.  Monroe would
power his way in from the 2 for the TD.  Callens added the PAT.  TIGERS  35  LN
 56

The Crusaders recovered the onside kick attempt.  Thomas  ran for 5 yards to
the Tigers 41.  Holman ran for 1 yard.  Malik Monroe then sacked Baker, setting
up a 4th down.  Callens then recorded a sack, dropping
Baker at midfield, giving the Tigers the ball.

Grissom passed to Monroe for 20 to the Crusaders 30.  Grissom threw incomplete.
 Grissom passed to Trevathan, but for a
loss.  Grissom then passed to a
leaping Callens for a gain of 14.  LN would give the Tigers a 1st down by
jumping offside.  2 plays later, Grissom passed to
Callens for a 16 yard TD.  The PAT
failed.  TIGERS  41  LN  56

The Crusaders recovered the onside kick attempt and from
there were able to gain 2 1st downs and run out the clock…and the
Tigers season.  TIGERS  41  LN  56

Lutheran North will play host to 2-time defending Missouri
Class 2 Champions, the Lamar Tigers, who beat Mountain View Liberty 35-0 on
Saturday.

The Tigers end their season at 10-2, losing to Mountain View
Liberty in the first week, then 10 consecutive wins and today’s loss to
Lutheran North.

Let me take a few minutes to talk about the careers of these
senior Tigers.  First, I should
introduce each of them.

#7 Tyler Grissom; #8 Chris Wade; #10 Abdul Johnson;  #13 Devonta Nichols; #14
Jamal Johnson;
#21 Darrell Monroe; #50 Joey Middleton; #66 Devonte Anderson; # 70 Brenton
Carter; # 71 Grant Marshall; and #81 Colt Callens.

As I mentioned before, they never lost a game in middle
school.

As freshmen,  they were undefeated, until losing to Maplewood Richmond Heights
in the
quarterfinals, finishing the season 12-1.

As sophomores, they finished the season 11-2, again losing
to Maplewood Richmond Heights in the quarterfinals.

As juniors, they finished 10-3, avenging the previous losses
to MRH, but losing to eventual state champion, Lamar, in the semifinals.

And again, as seniors, the Tigers finish 10-2, losing to
Lutheran North in the quarterfinals.

Three quarterfinals and a semifinals appearance.  An overall varsity record on
43-8,
marks this years seniors as having the most successful Tigers careers in the
storied Tigers 98 year football history.

#7 Tyler Grissom:  It has been a pleasure watching Tyler grow into a fine young
man, and an
excellent leader of the Tigers offense.  Tyler has excelled running the ball,
and made numerous big plays with
his arm as well.  Tyler is going to
serve his country in the Army National Guard.  A special guy, who I will miss.
Godspeed to you TG.

#8 Chris Wade:  A first year Tiger, who contributed to the success of the
Tigers filling
in at RB, receiver, on defense and on special teams.  Would have loved to have
had you for all 4 years.

#10 Abdule Johnson:  With all due respect, Abdule is one of the hardest working
Tigers.  Reminds me of the Pittman brothers from
last year…and that is a HIGH compliment.  ‘Dul was a weight room regular and
made himself into the great Tiger
that excelled in every aspect of the game…offense, defense and special teams.

#13  Devonta
Nichols:  Devonta has always been
one to keep the Tigers laughing in the lockerroom with his great sense of
humor.  Devonta has worked hard and
contributed greatly to the success of this senior class.

#14  Jamal
Johnson:  One of my special
guys…quiet, the furthest thing from cocky you will ever see, yet he has every
reason to be cocky.  Probably on
any other team in southeast Missouri, Jamal would have been the centerpiece of
their offense.  ‘Mal quietly just
did whatever was asked of him.  When Darrell was out injured, ‘Mal stepped
in…and had a 96 yard TD
run!  One of the surest tacklers on
the Tigers defense.  Great kid, who
I will miss more than I can say…

#21 Darrell Monroe:  Not much to say here….not enough space available to say it
all.   Another of my special guys.  Simply put, one of the best ever
all-around Tigers.  Should have won
the Carr trophy last year, most definitely should win it this year.  Has a 99
yard TD run…a record that will
never be broken unless they lengthen the field.  I dare say, Darrell’s game
against MRH last year in the
1/4finals was perhaps the best game I have ever seen from a Tiger…25
carries/250 yards 3 TDs; 2 forced fumbles, both of which he returned for TDs.
Oh, and had a 99 ½ yard KOR for TD negated by penalty.  Your future is in your
hands…grab it
and take it to the HOUSE like you usually do.  Another great kid, who I will
miss more than I can say…

#50  Joey
Middleton:  Someone asked me what
position Joey played on offense.  I
simply said, “All of them”.  An
amazing offensive lineman who has played every position on the offensive
line…and played them well.  Nobody
would ask what position he plays on defense, because he is a standout
linebacker.  Another quiet, yet
confident guy who lets his play speak for him.  Joey has been a hard worker,
and a huge reason behind (or in
front of) the Tigers success.  Another
special guy who I will miss greatly.

#66  Devonte
Anderson:  Oh boy, don’t I wish
that Devonte had played all 4 years.  Another 1st year player, but Devonte did
everything asked of
him.  Great asset to the Tigers,
and full of  Tiger spirit.  On Friday, Devonte picked off a pass
for a TD in practice.  He was so
excited, and the entire team was excited for him, too.

#70  Brenton
Carter:  Brenton is a 4 year Tiger
who played on the offensive and defensive line.  Brenton’s Tiger career was
plagued by numerous nagging
injuries, but when others would have just given up, “Carter” stuck it out and
made
his contribution to the success of the Tigers.  Also, he has made a very wise
decision in his college
selection.  Hail State Carter!

#71  Grant
Marshall:  Hate to say “I told you
so”…  Grant is my buddy who I have
been telling for the last 2 years that he needed to be a Tiger.  He was great
in middle school, and
played a little as a freshmen but stopped playing until this year.  Grant
worked hard in the weight room
and on the practice field, and earned a starting spot on the offensive line.
He also played a lot on the defensive
line.  Grant was an asset to the
Tigers on both sides of the ball.  Great kid, and I will miss him much.

#81  Colt
Callens:  Tough to know where to
start.  Had a horrific ankle
injury.  Had another horrific thumb
injury…no problem, just put a big club on my hand and let me play!  The Tigers
were a little short on the
offensive line…no problem, I’ll trade in my #81 for #54 and play with the big
boys.  Need someone to punt…I’ll
learn.  Need someone to kick
PAT’s…I can learn that too.  Drove
coaches crazy always asking questions, but he did so to learn…and he did.
Standout on defense, as a punter and as
a kicker.  Also, played a lot on
offense and had numerous huge catches when the Tigers needed them.  Another of
those special kids, who I
will miss a ton.

Always remember guys, “Once a Tiger, always a Tiger”.  Best of luck to each of
you all in your
future endeavors.  May you have the
same success in life that you have had on the gridiron as Tigers.

Now, for those of you still reading (both of you…Mom and
Dad).  I have been typing these
summaries for 10 years.  For
several years I have toyed with the idea of no longer typing up a summary of
each game.  This seems like about
as good a time as any to tentatively announce my retirement as the unofficial
“biased” Tiger summary writer.   Go out on top…with a group of seniors who I
have loved
for many years.   I still plan to be the PA guy at home
Tiger games, and I still plan to stay as involved in the Tiger football program
as the Tiger coaches and administration will allow.  It has truly been an honor
and a pleasure to share my biased
opinions with all of you for these past 10 years.

“Once a Tiger, always a Tiger.”

GO TIGERS GO!!!

W.Keith Currie
CHS Class of 1983