[CHS-L } TIGERS 32 Malden 7

  • From: "W. Keith Currie" <wkcurrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CHS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <CHS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 23:14:10 -0700 (PDT)

9-6-13  TIGERS  32   Malden  7

A warm swampeast Missouri night at Malden as the Tigers
surfed the Green Wave to a 32-7 victory.

I am going to change the format of my summary a bit, thanks
to Thomas Guest bringing me into the 21st century technology.   Rather than
posting a
play-by-play, stats, and box score, I will just touch on some of the Tiger
highlights.  For a detailed
play-by-play, scoring summary and stats, here’s how:

For iPhone/iPad users, download the free app called
“HSGC”.  Once downloaded select MENU, FIND A TEAM, MISSOURI, SOUTHEAST
MISSOURI, CARUTHERSVILLE,
and then VARSITY.  From there you
can click on tonight’s game, the Mountain View game or whatever else you
desire.

On your computer, go to:
http://www.hsgamecenter.com/missouri/school/caruthersville-tigers/football/varsity/boys.

Another amazing part of
this technology is that you can actually “watch” the game (play-by-play) as
Thomas puts the information in during the game.

Many, many thanks to Thomas
for finding an app that gives us ALL of the game information we could ever
want!

Series History:

The Tigers and the Green Wave first met in 1916 with the
Tigers winning 13-0.  The teams
have met sporadically over the years, and didn’t play each other at all in the
1930s nor the 1950s.  Tonight was
the 65th meeting between these teams and the Tigers now lead the
overall series 35-30, thanks to dominating the series since 2000, 12-3.

 Now, for a few
tidbits from the game.

I think most in attendance would agree that the Tigers
appeared a bit sluggish tonight…just didn’t seem to have the spirit and
enthusiasm to which we have become so accustomed.

Strangely, the Tigers appeared to have a few more cramping
issues tonight than last week…even though it was a much cooler night.

My stars of the game:

MALIK MONROE:  What a great comeback story…as in last year’s Malden game, Malik
suffered a horric broken arm, which required surgery and a plate with a bunch
of screws!  Malik was simply “going
HAM” tonight, as he did a great job on the offensive line, and was simply a
force on defense… 4.5 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, and was in on many other
plays.  His shining moment came
with 4:51 to go in the game when he stopped the Malden ball carrier, stripped
the ball and raced 50 yards to the HOUSE for his 1st CHS varsity
TD.  A great, great game Malik!

COLT CALLENS:  His best game ever!  Where
do I start?  Defense, of
course!  Colt was everywhere.  4 solo tackles; 3.5 tackles for loss; 1
sack; and was even in on a pass breakup or 2.  Punting is also a defensive
category, and Colt again shined,
punting 5 times for an average of 43.2 yards, but most importantly…4 punts
inside the 20!  Oh yeah, he played
a little offense, too.  3 catches
for 64 yards, including a TD, and even had 1 carry for 4 yards.

DARRELL MONROE:  He’s Malik’s big brother…and he is pretty good at football,
too!  ;-)  4 tackles, and a tackle for loss.  He carried the ball 19 times for
176 yards and 2 TDs.  He also had 2 long TDs that were
negated by Tiger penalties.  Darrell had an amazing run, late in the game where
he shook off numerous
Malden defenders on a 3rd and long…gaining the 1st down.  I think I need to give
Darrell credit for teaching Malik how to “strip and score”.  ;-)

It was great to see a bunch of “new” Tigers playing, and
making their contributions to another Tiger victory.  Some freshmen, some
sophomores, and even some new juniors
and seniors got some great experience tonight.  We will need ALL of the Tigers
to continue to contribute so
we can have another amazing year!

It was not a “pretty” win tonight for the Tigers.  But, a win is a win.  The
Tigers definitely need to continue
to improve and especially need to rid themselves of the mental mistakes.  I
have no doubt that they will.  They better, as they will face a tough
challenge next Friday night when a tough bunch of Birds from Charleston will
pay the Tigers a visit at Hopke Field.

I hope that you have enjoyed the new summary format…it sure
makes things easier on me.  If you
have any questions about the hsgamechanger app or website, I would be glad to
try to assist you…but Thomas Guest is the local expert on the subject.

W. Keith Currie
CHS Class of 1983