[chaoscope] Re: Development Update

  • From: Alex Tomaso <master.tomato@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:41:21 -0700

I assume this will be in the next version of chaoscope rather than the old
renderer?

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Nicolas Desprez <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just uploaded the first version of CSP, aka Chaoscope Command Line
> Renderer. There is no link on the site yet, I thought I'd give the (long
> suffering) mailing list subscribers a chance to play with it first.
>
> The archive is here:
> http://www.chaoscope.org/download/csp_0_3_5_win32.zip
>
> Don't ask me what CSP means, I forgot. I think it's something like
> "ChaoScope Project" which doesn't make much sense.
>
> The archive contains the command line executable, a DLL where most of the
> code is and a readme.txt file. Here's what it says:

> CSP is a command line executable that loads one or more projects created by
> Chaoscope, renders the strange attractors and save the resulting image to a
> BMP image file.
>
> Syntax:
> -------
> CSP -i <project> -o <image>
>
>  project        a project file name or path to project files
>  image          an image file name or path
>
> Rendering a single project:
> ---------------------------
> If <project> is a single file and <image> is a path, the image is named
> after the project and saved in the path, otherwise it is simply saved as
> <image>. The BMP extension is not automatically added.
>
> Rendering multiple projects:
> ----------------------------
> If project is a path, all projects found in the folder are rendered
> successively and stored in the path indicated by <image>. When rendering
> multiple projects, CSP follows these two rules:
>
>    1) A zero-length image file is created before the render begins.
>    2) Images are never overwritten.
>
> This enables the user to run multiple instances of CSP, either on the same
> computer when more than two CPU cores are available or on several computers
> which all have access to the project and image paths.

> Memory allocation failures aren't caught so it will crash if you attempt to
> render projects that require more memory than available.
>
> The only difference between CSP and Chaoscope 0.3.1 is the speed. Render
> quality will be identical.
>
> CSP will render much faster. Two to three times faster on multi-core CPUs,
> depending on the render mode.
>
> Note that only two cores are used for the render. Due to the way the
> rendering is parallelised it's unlikely that both cores will be running at
> 100% capacity.
>
> Once I've received feedback from the users (send it to myself rather than
> the mailing list please) I will:
>
> - Update the web site
> - Release a Linux version
> - Release a Win64 version
> - Add new features like iteration override, size override and
> multisampling.
>
> Not necessarily in this order!
>
> Regards,
>
> Nicolas Desprez

"Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation
of trampling on an enemy who is helpless.  If you want a picture of the
future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

George Orwell
1984