[chaoscope] Development Update

  • From: Nicolas Desprez <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 00:25:58 +0100

Hi all,

I've just uploaded the first version of CSP, aka Chaoscope Command Line Renderer. There is no link on the site yet, I thought I'd give the (long suffering) mailing list subscribers a chance to play with it first.

The archive is here:
http://www.chaoscope.org/download/csp_0_3_5_win32.zip

Don't ask me what CSP means, I forgot. I think it's something like "ChaoScope Project" which doesn't make much sense.

The archive contains the command line executable, a DLL where most of the code is and a readme.txt file. Here's what it says:

CSP is a command line executable that loads one or more projects created by Chaoscope, renders the strange attractors and save the resulting image to a BMP image file.

Syntax:
-------
CSP -i <project> -o <image>

 project        a project file name or path to project files
 image          an image file name or path

Rendering a single project:
---------------------------

Rendering multiple projects:
----------------------------
If project is a path, all projects found in the folder are rendered successively and stored in the path indicated by <image>. When rendering multiple projects, CSP follows these two rules:

    1) A zero-length image file is created before the render begins.
    2) Images are never overwritten.

This enables the user to run multiple instances of CSP, either on the same computer when more than two CPU cores are available or on several computers which all have access to the project and image paths.

Memory allocation failures aren't caught so it will crash if you attempt to render projects that require more memory than available.

The only difference between CSP and Chaoscope 0.3.1 is the speed. Render quality will be identical.

CSP will render much faster. Two to three times faster on multi-core CPUs, depending on the render mode.

Note that only two cores are used for the render. Due to the way the rendering is parallelised it's unlikely that both cores will be running at 100% capacity.

Once I've received feedback from the users (send it to myself rather than the mailing list please) I will:

- Update the web site
- Release a Linux version
- Release a Win64 version
- Add new features like iteration override, size override and multisampling.

Not necessarily in this order!

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez