[chai-t] June wrap-up & plans for July

Hi all,

Thanks to all who came along on Friday -- I turned around at the end and
was quite surprised at how the room had filled up! I hope it was a
useful session -- sure was for me! Of course, I now have to work out how
I can persuade IT to organise a SQL 2012 licence...

Nadav mentioned that they (BizData) run regular free sessions on
technology topics, which may be of interest. I'm hoping he will send me
some details so I can post those here.

For those who want to follow up with Nadav about anything he discussed,
his email is nadav (dot) rayman (at) bizdata.com.au. The download link
for the Predixion Insight is
http://www.predixionsoftware.com/predixion/, and the trial version is
linked from that page.

The plan for July is for the 20th, by default back to 3pm at Peter Mac,
unless there is another taker for hosting. It's four weeks away, so
there's plenty of time to prepare, but it is also getting into the EOFY
silly season.

Out of the HDSS forum last week and just from generally talking around
the place, it seems that despite the decision to not rely on ABF for
July 1 2012, there's still a need to (re)develop reporting to shadow the
new funding model. A particular focus is on URGs and Radiotherapy: the
assumption is that the new WIES against VIC-DRG 6.0x and continuation of
VACS will be fairly straightforward given a cost weights table.

Chris Hamilton has very kindly provided some more usable versions of the
key cost weight and other reference tables (email me if you missed
them). Chris Macmanus tells me he has an SSIS package for calculating
URGs courtesy of DH.

Is it worth making the key point of next month's meeting to talk about
the new funding models and look for opportunities to share some code /
insights to help with building shadow funding models? Potentially if
there are issues as well we can feed them back as a group. E.g. the new
S10 form upload was giving me grief the other day as it doesn't really
support CSV, and it would be interesting to find out if others have
similar issues.

Or, if that is too close to work to be exciting, I'm happy to go
completely non-ABF and look at something else: perhaps how to do some of
the predictive analytics on the cheap (e.g. with Talend plus R or some
other combo), if that is more interesting.

Suggestions welcome!

Kind regards,

William Rose
Business Intelligence Manager
Information Management

+61 3 9656 5231   |   Level 8, St Andrews Place, East Melbourne VIC 3002

________________________________

        Date: Friday, 22nd June
        Time: 10am-12pm
        Room: Business Productivity Centre
        Address: Level 5, 4 Freshwater Place, Southbank 3006

I'm thinking we will have time to cover:

*       PowerPivot
*       Tabular, the engine behind PowerPivot, that powers the new
server features for data mashups
*       The Silverlight viewer for Tabular dashboards (PowerPoint
embeddable)
*       Predixion Insight for performing clustering analysis and
predictive modelling backed by SQL Server Data Mining

Nadav did a presentation at the DG2012 conference about using predictive
analytics tools to help identify which data elements are important to
business rules or operational outcomes of interest, and I'm aiming to
get together a more Victorian data set for him to demo some of the same
features with.

If there's other stuff you've heard about and want him to cover, please
let me know so I can feed that back.

By allowing two hours I hope there will be time for a bit of Q&A
afterward - we spent a bit of time yesterday working through the
features that looked most interesting to me, and it's great to have
someone who knows the product well to talk through what it can and can't
do well.

Kind regards,

William Rose
Business Intelligence Manager
Information Management

+61 3 9656 5231   |   Level 8, St Andrews Place, East Melbourne VIC 3002

This email (including any attachments or links) may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information and is intended only to be read or
used by the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, any use,
distribution, disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited. Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by reason of its
mistaken delivery to you. If you have received this email in error,
please delete it and notify us immediately by telephone or email. Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this transmission is
free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or altered and will
not be liable for any delay in its receipt.