[chai-t] June meeting plans

  • From: "Rose William" <William.Rose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chai-t@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:33:21 +1000

Hi all,

As previously discussed, the next meeting is 22nd of June. As a contrast
to the excellent QlikView tour from Jenny at Mercy, I have asked Nadav
Rayman from BizData, a Microsoft BI partner, to present on the new
features in SQL 2012 and a separate predictive analytics tool, Predixion
Insight.

After spending a couple of hours with Nadav yesterday, I think it would
be helpful to have a little more time for this session. There are a lot
of interesting things to look at, and I don't want to crunch the time
too much when this is likely to be very relevant to quite a few members.

Nadav has offered to host using a meeting room at Microsoft's Docklands
office from 10am to 12pm on Friday 22nd of June, which I hope will fit
into people's calendars okay. Please let me know if this time/venue is
particularly bad: obviously we can stick to 3pm at Peter Mac if late in
the day in the dungeon is your thing.

So the calendar details are:

        Date: Friday, 22nd June
        Time: 10am-12pm
        Room: Business Productivity Centre
        Address: Level 5, 4 Freshwater Place, Southbank 3006

I'm thinking we will have time to cover:

*       PowerPivot
*       Tabular, the engine behind PowerPivot, that powers the new
server features for data mashups
*       The Silverlight viewer for Tabular dashboards (PowerPoint
embeddable)
*       Predixion Insight for performing clustering analysis and
predictive modelling backed by SQL Server Data Mining

Nadav did a presentation at the DG2012 conference about using predictive
analytics tools to help identify which data elements are important to
business rules or operational outcomes of interest, and I'm aiming to
get together a more Victorian data set for him to demo some of the same
features with.

If there's other stuff you've heard about and want him to cover, please
let me know so I can feed that back.

By allowing two hours I hope there will be time for a bit of Q&A
afterward - we spent a bit of time yesterday working through the
features that looked most interesting to me, and it's great to have
someone who knows the product well to talk through what it can and can't
do well.

Kind regards,

William Rose
Business Intelligence Manager
Information Management

+61 3 9656 5231   |   Level 8, St Andrews Place, East Melbourne VIC 3002

This email (including any attachments or links) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is
intended only to be read or used by the addressee.  If you
are not the intended addressee, any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by
reason of its mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephone or email.  Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this
transmission is free of virus or that it has not been
intercepted or altered and will not be liable for any delay
in its receipt.