[cas_announce] New Social Experiment

CASers,

In an attempt to leverage technology to bring our members together in
different ways, I wanted to see if some would be interested in a new
mailing list to communicate when they were heading out for some stargazing
and might enjoy some company.  The mailing list is *fyi@xxxxxxxxxxxx* and
how I'm envisioning this working is if some evening the skies look
exceptionally clear and you're considering heading out to HQ for some star
gazing you could send out a quick message, "Heading out to HQ around 8pm if
anyone is interested!"  Then for those members that aren't as comfortable
going out to HQ by themselves, aren't qualified on a scope, aren't as savvy
at finding objects in the night sky, or just don't have anything better
going on that night may head up there to join you.  This would not be
limited to the HQ, but could be used for the DSS, a Google+ Astronomy
Hangout, or any other impromptu viewing where the more the merrier!

For those members with smartphones or an uncontrollable habit to check your
computers for new email (guilty as charged!), this list may interest you.
 For those that check email once a week, this list may not be of much use
for you.  This could potentially be a higher volume mailing list
(especially if we get some nice weather... it's possible!), so I wanted it
to keep it separate from cas_announce so those not interested these updates
aren't inundated with unwelcome messages.  This is an opt-in mailing list
only, so if you're interested please send me a message (barry@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
and I'll add you.  With it being the winter months there's a good chance
that this list won't be getting much activity until things warm up, so we
may have to wait a bit to determine if this list will be useful or not.

Let me know if you have suggestions for tweaking this idea, or if you have
some additional ideas of how we can use technology to our benefit!

Take care,
Barry Behrmann