[cas_announce] Is There Weather in Outer Space? CASS aturday 9/3/2011 7pm

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Announce CAS_ <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 06:57:34 -0700 (PDT)

As always these events are open and free to CAS members.
Bring friends, family and neighbors!

Volunteers are also needed! The event has gotten good press, including a nice
listing in the Enquirer's special Labor Day Weekend section.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for good weather for viewing but remember the
programs still go on "cloudy or clear".

http://local.cincinnati.com/share/news/story.aspx?sid=183992
Steve, Thanks for the use of the great photo!

Craig

p.s. The October 8th date in the article is incorrect for the next CAS/Drake
program. It is scheduled for Oct 1st. More details soon.

Is There Weather in Outer Space?
We
 think of Space as being an empty, airless vacuum. So with no air or
clouds or wind how can there be Space Weather? In fact space is full of
stars, planets, comets, meteoroids, asteroids, dust, molecules, atoms
and radiation. OK, “full of” is a relative term. This space environment
is still a better vacuum than can be produced in laboratories on Earth.

Our
 Sun provides the heat, light and energy that makes life possible on our
 little planet. At its core, hydrogen atoms are being fused together
under extreme heat and pressure to release unimaginable amounts of
energy.  The Sun goes through cycles of high and low activity that
repeats approximately every 11 years. Sun flares are the most violent
events in the solar system and in a matter of minutes a large flare
releases a million times more energy than the largest earthquake. These
energetic particles stream out in all directions from the Sun, including
 toward Earth, creating Space Weather.

A number of space weather
 effects are of interest to us on Earth. A radiation dose from these
energetic particles is a hazard for astronauts on the International
Space Station and for electronics on the satellites we depend on in our
daily lives. Geomagnetic field disturbances may damage power systems,
disrupt international and cell phone communications, degrade high-tech
navigation systems, or create the spectacular aurora (Northern and
Southern lights).

On Saturday September 3rd Pam Bowers, Executive
 Director of the Drake Planetarium will present a family friendly,
interactive program on the new science of forecasting Space Weather.
Afterwards we’ll have activities & displays for all ages and
telescope viewing of our Moon and other space treasures. (Program and
activities held cloudy or clear, viewing is weather permitting)

• Saturday September 3rd
• Program begins at 7:00.
• Viewing follows after 8pm (weather permitting)
• $3.00 for Adults, Kids under 12 Free
• Open to all ages.
• No reservations required.

The Cincinnati Astronomical Society
5274 Zion Rd. Cleves, OH 45002   (near the Mitchell Memorial Forest)
513-941-1981