[cad-linux-dev] stream-based version of rhizopod

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:06:58 -0500

Okay, so the converters are written in multiple languages, and you
want them to be able to talk to each other via pipes and across the
network rather than just through directories.  How to do it?

It seems to me that you could just join the bits of YAML together, but
you need to somehow know what file each bit belongs in.

for i in `ls examples/flat_db-from_drw2/`
  do cat examples/flat_db-from_drw2/$i
    echo "path: $i"
done > examples/joined1.yml

http://ericwilhelm.homeip.net/uc/trunk/data/examples/joined1.yml

I'm not sure right now if "path:" is the right attribute to use.  The
point is that the resultant file can be directly loaded with a YAML
parser and a secondary process would know how to put it into the
directory structure.

This opens the conversion scheme to more flexibility and could also be
used to simplify the connectors.  By having one program that can
marshall/demarshall between the stream and the directory, the
connectors could all just write to and read from a stream (unless
they have something particularly novel to contribute wrt handling the
directory.)

--Eric
--
The opinions expressed in this e-mail were randomly generated by
the computer and do not necessarily reflect the views of its owner.