[cablewiki] Re: Solution to Languages Problem / Template Translation / stuff

  • From: phate phate <itaeviky@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cablewiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 09:55:33 +0100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w34z49jCcA

well,i know it s in italian
just to let u know how anonymous is working hard for helping egypt

From: hamstar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 13:59:00 +1300
Subject: [cablewiki] Re: Solution to Languages Problem / Template Translation /
stuff
To: cablewiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope you're all following the protests, shit is getting crazy:

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/02/live-blog-feb-3-egypt-protests

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM, JayP <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've worked out a solution on the last problem FutureMelt mentioned:

>There needs to be some way to let the user pick their language when they
>register on the site. Using the "languages" box on the page only sets the
>language for that page.
Check this: http://test.cablegatewiki.org/index.php?title=07PARIS4723

On the sidebar there is now a dropdown menu where you can chose your prefered
language. If you chose German, you'll see that you are automatically redirected
to the german translation of the cable. The extension that does that (Polyglot)
also makes the {{Languages}} bars redundant, since it automatically lists
available translations in the sidebar, like on the wikipedia.

The biggest problem here is figuring out the best way to translate the little
bits of text into other languages. For example, here
http://test.cablegatewiki.org/index.php?title=07PARIS4650 there is the text
"Create an Analysis of this cable in your Language!", what is the best way to
let users translate that piece of text?

I think we'll have to create seperate templates for every language. But I think
it should be possible to create a "parent template" (e.g. {{Infobox}} ) that
looks at the language code in the article name and choses the correct "child
template" accordingly (e.g. {{Infobox/de}}.

That beeing solved, I think there are only 5 things left that should be done
before we can make the Beta Public:

Get the Semantic Table to work with the dropdown parser (filtering the results
for language, origin, date, ...)
Get the Semantic Table to show translation status and user ratings for quality
& controversy
Creating a Poster for Promotion*
Creating Guidelines for Translation*
Getting the CableBot to import the Cables from Leekfead and render the new
cable Layout
*can be done by everyone, now!

Cheers,

JayP