[cablewiki] Solution to Languages Problem / Template Translation / stuff

  • From: JayP <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cablewiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 00:27:52 +0100

I've worked out a solution on the last problem FutureMelt mentioned:

    >There needs to be some way to let the user pick their language
   when they register on the site. Using the "languages" box on the
   page only sets the language for that page.

Check this: http://test.cablegatewiki.org/index.php?title=07PARIS4723
On the sidebar there is now a dropdown menu where you can chose your prefered language. If you chose German, you'll see that you are automatically redirected to the german translation of the cable. The extension that does that (Polyglot) also makes the {{Languages}} bars redundant, since it automatically lists available translations in the sidebar, like on the wikipedia.

   The biggest problem here is figuring out the best way to translate
   the little bits of text into other languages. For example, here
   http://test.cablegatewiki.org/index.php?title=07PARIS4650 there is
   the text "Create an Analysis of this cable in your Language!", what
   is the best way to let users translate that piece of text?

I think we'll have to create seperate templates for every language. But I think it should be possible to create a "parent template" (e.g. {{Infobox}} ) that looks at the language code in the article name and choses the correct "child template" accordingly (e.g. {{Infobox/de}}.

That beeing solved, I think there are only 5 things left that should be done before we can make the Beta Public:

   * Get the Semantic Table to work with the dropdown parser (filtering
     the results for language, origin, date, ...)
   * Get the Semantic Table to show translation status and user ratings
     for quality & controversy
   * Creating a Poster for Promotion*
   * Creating Guidelines for Translation*
   * Getting the CableBot to import the Cables from Leekfead and render
     the new cable Layout

*can be done by everyone, now!

Cheers,

JayP