[bvipilots] Final Message Before Defeat...

  • From: Jody McKinniss <jlove42010@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bvipilots <bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 13:33:31 -0400

Ok Robert, this is my final message, my final attempt.  I hate to accept
defeat, especially when I see absolutely no reason why this failed.
However, because I can find no error here, I have absolutely no idea what
is causing the issue now.  Take a look at this, and if you have no idea at
all, then I guess I have to feel beaten by a machine, lol.  I will not
trouble you further after this; I simply do not understand what I am doing
wrong here.  I worked for a while last night after listening to the file
you recorded.  I was going to record a file for you, to prove that my
attempt was exactly verbatim with respect to your test file.  However, I
think the CVRT will suffice for this case.  So what I will do is this:  All
words spoken by you in your test recording will be bracketed with
parentheses.  My CVRT will simply be as is.  Your words will come first,
then mine.  For expediency, I am only copying the relevant portion of the
CVRT, as I did all checklists to this point.  Here goes:

(Test:  Robert said: "What is our call sign?")
Me:  04:12:37
You said:
what is our call sign
(test:  Robert's copilot said:  "our call sign is Cessna November, one, 7,
6, Charlie, Mike.  The short form is Cessna 6, Charlie Mike.")
Me:  04:12:41
Michelle said:
Our call sign is cessna november. one. seven. six. charlie. mike. The short
form is cessna six. charlie. mike.
(test:  Robert said:  "Charlotte clearance delivery.")
Me:  04:12:41
You said:
charlotte clearance delivery
(Test:  Robert said: "Cessna November one, 7, 6, Charlie, Mike.")
Me:  04:12:58
You said:
cessna november one seven six charlie mike
(Test:  Robert said: "IFR clearance to 5 whiskey 5.")
Me:  04:13:05
You said:
i f r clearance to kilo romeo delta uniform
(Test:  Robert said:  "Ready to copy.")
Me:  04:13:10
You said:
ready to copy
The only difference herein is the ICAO code, 5W5 versus KRDU, which should
have absolutely no effect on outcome, since clearly Michelle understood
me.  Just to let you know what actually occurred.  Just before I tried the
request for IFR clearance, I got the local weather info and set the
altimeter as always.  After I said the above (as you can see, it was
verbatim except for the ICAO code), instead of giving me the requested
clearance, the weather info was repeated to me.  This happened several
times.  So I wonder if Michelle is not switching to clearance delivery when
I say "Charlotte clearance delivery."  That is the only thing I can think
of.  Do you have any ideas at all?  Your test went fine, so surely the
change in ICAO didn't cause the failure, since the flight plan was properly
loaded.
On a side note, regarding flight plans:  It is impossible for a blind
person to access the ACARS window.  Yes, I can tell Michelle to open the
window, but this window is not accessible to JFW.  Is there any way to
address this please?

P.S.  While this message explicitly addressed Robert directly, if anyone on
this list has successfully used Super ATC, I would appreciate feedback from
them as well.  If Robert cannot see anything wrong here, possibly someone
who has succeeded might be able to weigh in with some thoughts.  Many
thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.

A VERY, VERY, VERY FRUSTRATED PILOT,
Jody