[bulug] Re: Odd Ubuntu problem

  • From: Ryan Mullen <rmullen@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:41:50 -0400

> I've gone through the server logs and there are some intermittent errors
> in the rsync output from the scheduled sync to the master Ubuntu mirror.
> These have been appearing for months now (I wasn't checking vigilantly)
> and I'm following up with the ubuntu-mirrors list to see if this is a
> dangerous state to be in. The exact error is:
>
> IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion

These errors were related to temporary files on the remote server that
are unimportant on the local mirror. They should not have caused a
problem for you.

If you have switched your apt sources away from lug.bu.edu, I'm
comfortable giving the go-ahead to switch them back. I've made a change
in how I sync to the upstream mirror that will exclude the temp files,
but that shouldn't affect users of the mirror.

I'll let you know if I figure anything out, but I doubt the problem was
mirror-related at this point. I don't have any Ubuntu systems with which
to test, though, so if I hear anything else I'll be sure to get back in
touch.

Ryan
_________