[bulug] Re: Making bind authoritative for arbitrary domains

  • From: "Alex Whittemore" <alexwhittemore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:30:16 -0500

Ok, final update on exactly what happened:

1. Alex Bernson's suggestion of using dnsspoof from dsniff was what i really
needed right from the off, but it's not what I used
2. I set up bind9, just adding google.com to the list of domains for which
it was authoritative - for some reason this wasn't working. Really, I should
have set up the server according to the config that Ryan suggested, but what
I DID instead was to leave my server set up as recursive, but edit the
db.root file to tell it that the only server to ask recursively was itself.
Not elegant or proper, but...
3. In the end, the config I had at the time which I originally emailed
worked fine, but for some magic reason, there was something cached
somewhere, and it didn't work. I revisited the problem just a moment ago,
and lo and behold, nothing changed and it now works exactly as expected.

So thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now i'm slightly DNSmarter!

Ok, that pun was horrible. I'm going to hide in a hole.

Alex Whittemore