[bulug] Re: Making bind authoritative for arbitrary domains

  • From: Alexcb <alexcb@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 19:39:46 -0500

If you don't actually need to have a dns server running and just want to redirect a few domains, the dnsspoof program from the dsniff package might be a simpler solution. It allows you to redirect whatever domains you set in a simple text config, while forwarding all other requests on to a proper DNS server. https://calomel.org/dns_spoof.html

Maybe not a great long term solution, but if it's just for a quick project/testing, it's way easier than mucking around with Bind.

-Alex Bernson

Alex Whittemore wrote:
Hey linux user group! I am working on a project which requires me to have a DNS server configured and serving bogus information. Let's take the example of google. I have my DNS server all set up (in my basement at home, yay basement server farms) and it's perfectly capible of handling regular DNS requests for domains whose proper NS records (with whatever root name servers) point to it. What I need it to do, however, is also serve requests for example for www.google.com <http://www.google.com>. That is to say, if I tell my laptop to use it as a primary DNS server, I need my laptop to draw an A record for www.google.com <http://www.google.com> from MY name server, not query a.root-servers.net <http://a.root-servers.net> for an NS record, then NS1.google.com <http://NS1.google.com> for an A record. I've configured my dns server to do this, but I don't know how to make it authoritative - for some reason it just seems to serve the correct records even when I edit its db.root to tell it that a.root-servers.net <http://a.root-servers.net> is the only root level dns server, and that it's ip is the name server's itself.

Any ideas on how to get this rockin'? I can email config files if you like. For general info, the system is a ubuntu 8.04 box with bind-chroot installed (bind9)

Alex

_________