[bulug] FallInstall: Installfest, Sept 23, PHO203, 7PM

  • From: Ryan Mullen <rmullen@xxxxxx>
  • To: bulug-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:43:52 -0400 (EDT)

This is a cross-posting from http://lug.bu.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30 .

The LUG will be hosting an installfest for the Fall Semester on Tuesday, Sept 23, 2008 at 7:00PM in PHO203. All are invited.

We gave away 50 Ubuntu 8.04 CDs at SPLASH, so we expect that people might want some help installing them. The primary focus will be on helping people install Ubuntu, but I want to emphasize that we are in no way limited to a single distro, or on that note, Linux itself. Bring any free operating system you have and join the fray. We will have a stack of blank CDs and DVDs on hand, and can burn any distro upon request.

Participation in FallInstall requires a signature on our waiver/disclaimer which will be provided to you upon entry. We do not assume liability for damage to hardware, loss of data, wasting of time, and so forth. It is your responsibility to back up your data to secure storage prior to the installfest. If you need help backing up data, we can assist, but be aware that we do not claim responsibility if something goes haywire.

If you're new to the concept of an installfest, it's basically a casual gathering where you can bring as much of your own hardware as you can carry and get help installing OSes or software on it. It's great fun and you should check it out even if you don't feel like borking an install or two.

We may be screening the movie Revolution OS for all to watch while waiting for installs to complete. We have explicit permission from the director for a group showing.

The standard pizza and soda will be served, although we are looking for those who consume to kick back with a little cash to cover the cost of refreshments. If this can be funded with some other means, updates will be sent out.

We will have some of the latest copies of BU Linux (based on CentOS 5.2) on hand if you want to give it a shot.

We have a 24-port 10/100 switch that we will use to address our connectivity needs. We strongly suggest bringing your own ethernet and power cables, and if you are bringing a desktop computer or something other than a laptop, bring any display equipment you think you need. Surplus equipment will be essentially nonexistent. If you have a surge protector handy, that could be a useful thing to bring as well.

We are exploring the possibility of running a local apt mirror so that updates can be cached and downloaded from our LAN instead of having to all simultaneously hammer Ubuntu's mirrors.

See you there! Bring a friend!

Ryan
_________