Broad Oak PS & ELC Mailing Newsletter No 8

  • From: Lynne Atkinson <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: broadoak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:16:58 +0000

Newsletter No: 8

Date: 30 October 2007

Landscape/Building works

May I thank our parents and the school community for their understanding
during the period of landscape and building works outside the front of the
school.  I appreciate it makes access difficult, however, I have been
reassured by Lancashire Authority that our new car park, cycle shelter and
infant play area will be completed as soon as possible.

Parents Interview Evening

Parents? Evening will be held in school on Tuesday, 13 November, 5.30pm
onwards and Thursday, 15 November, 3.30 ? 6.00pm. The purpose of this
meeting is to enable you to discuss your child?s progress and future targets
for development.  It would be helpful if parents could return the attached
slip for each child to the school office no later than Wednesday, 7
November.   Appointments can only be given if slips are returned.

The DCFS have produced a copy of ?Helping children to learn?Making the Most
of Parents Evenings?. Copies are available from the school office or
alternatively downloadable from the Parents Web section of our own school
website http://www.broadoak.lancs.sch.uk/parents.htm).

Poppy Appeal

Once again we will be supporting the national charity, The British Legion,
in distributing poppies to children and parents in exchange for donations.
Two Year 6 children will be near the school office, with our poppies,
between 8.45 and 8.55am every morning until Friday 9 November or until we
have no poppies left.  During the lead up to Remembrance Sunday we will be
sharing with the children the meaning of the poppies and the significance in
maintaining peace and freedom.

Team Points
Last week?s winners - Sycamore

Handwriting Superstars!

The week before half-term we held a handwriting competition.  The superstars
for this week are our best hand writers in each class:
Mrs Yale's Class: 1st ? Megan Robertson, 2nd ? Harry Leadbetter, 3rd ? Gemma
Wilkinson
Mrs Sutton?s Class: 1st ? Sam Clarkson, 2nd ? Emily McCann, 3rd ? Ashley
Brown
Mrs Wilson's Class: 1st ? Sammy Wakefield, 2nd ? Owen Johns, 3rd ? Emily
Garry

Mrs Barker?s Class: 1st ? Abbie Pownall, 2nd ? George Ashcroft, 3rd ? Imogen
Turner

Mrs Ashton's Class: 1st ? Olivia Parkinson, 2nd ? Thomas Hughes, 3rd ?
Nicholas Whittaker

Mrs Hughes' Class: 1st ? Robert Graham, 2nd - Elspeth Turner, 3rd Shohan
Wilkinson

Mr Bromley?s Class: 1st ? Douglas Ashcroft, 2nd Kirsty Winn, 3rd ? Robert
Mullarkey Cahoon

Firework Day Themed Lunch ? Monday, 5 November

Your child is invited to join us for this special themed lunch on Firework
Day and receive a firework code card. Please return the attached slip,
together with £1.60, on or before Thursday, 1 November to avoid
disappointment.

Friends of Broad Oak & Care Club Annual General Meetings

In the week before half-term two AGMs were held.  The members of the elected
committee for Friends of Broad Oak are listed near the front of the school.
This list is also on our Friends website:
<http://www.broadoak.lancs.sch.uk/friends.htm>
www.broadoak.lancs.sch.uk/friends.htm. Should you have any ideas for PTA
events please email:  <mailto:friends@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
friends@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The members of the elected committee for Broad Oak Services (Broad Oak Care
Club) are listed in the Care Club room.  All queries regarding Broad Oak
Services (Care Club) should be directed to Mrs S Naylor who works in the
school office most afternoons or by email to:
<mailto:elc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> elc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Events Diary

With this newsletter you should receive a copy of our up to date Events
Diary, including dates for Christmas performances.

School Lunch ? Week 2 Beginning 5 November
Please ensure that dinner money is paid on Friday if you want dinners next
week.  Only £8.00 per week. Money should be given, via your child, to their
teacher in an envelope marked ?Dinner Money? with their name, class and
amount.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Firework Day Lunch

Bangers & Chips

(or Vegetarian Sausage, Lancashire Hot Pot)

Beef lasagne with crusty bread or Fish fingers.

Grilled gammon & pineapple, creamed potatoes or Freshly made minestrone soup
& hot filled baguette.

Roast chicken dinner, roast potatoes, gravy or Pasta parcels with garlic
bread.

Freshly baked meat & potato pie or Pizza Margherita, Jacket Potato

Parkin or Cracklin Tart

Rocket Fuel

Devonshire apple splits.

Oaty plum crumble with custard.

Tropical Chelsea bun.

Jelly & Ice Cream

Usually available daily (subject to availability) stuffed jacket potatoes,
selection of sandwiches, salad, fresh or frozen yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk
or fruit drinks, homemade cakes and cookies.  Vegetarian/Religious diets
also available subject to demand

Penwortham Town Council Firework Display

This will be taking place on Monday 5 November at 7.30pm at Pear Tree Park,
Middleforth Green.  This is a free event but there will be a collection for
the Mayoral Charities on the evening.

Yours sincerely

Mr C M Metcalfe

Headteacher

Firework Day Themed Lunch ? Monday, 5 November

I would like my child to take part in the Firework Day Lunch.

I enclose £1.60   ____

I am entitled to Free School meals _____

I already pay for school meals on a weekly/termly basis_____

Child?s Name: _____________________   Signed: __________________________
Date: _______

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Parents? Evening

Please make an appointment for me to see my child(ren)?s class teacher on

Tuesday, 14 November from 5.30pm onwards
*[____]

Thursday, 16 November between 3.30pm and 6.00pm
*[____]

*Please tick appropriate box

Signed ??????????????????.(Parent/Guardian)

This e-mail is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.